Sunday 5 July 2015

Zombicide Zombies - Season 2 Toxic Runners 02

Here are the second 8 of my 16 Toxic Zombies from Guillotine Games' Zombicide. Two were freebies I got for backing Zombicide Season 2 on Kickstarter and the rest came from the Box of Zombies - Set #2: Toxic Crowd.
The Runner at the far left of the two photos above and below has not been altered in any way. I even kept the peg below his left foot intact, although I have obscured it with bits of rubble (sand and cat litter).
The second Runner in line has had his peg under his left foot removed and I cut off his left hand. That was such a simple conversion.
For the third Runner in line I removed the peg under his left foot and I drilled three holes in his chest with a pin vice to show he had been shot by someone who didn't realise you have to aim for the head! Once again, this was a very simple conversion. Note that the holes did not go all the way through the body, so from the back he looks unharmed.
For the Runner at the far right of this group I left his support peg on. I bent his right arm at the elbow using the flame from a candle to soften his arm, bending it in shape then dunking the figure in a glass of cold water so that the arm stays in its new position.
Moving on to the second batch of Runners, once again, the first Runner in line has not been modified in any way. The peg under his left foot was coated in sand to make it less smooth looking.
The next Runner in line did have his support peg cut off, as well as his right arm at the elbow. I added a very small piece of Milliput to the stump and used a cocktail stick to draw a circle in the centre of the stump. The inner circle was painted white to represent bone and the rest of the wound was given a coating of Tamiya Clear Red mixed with a drop of Acrylic Black.
The third Runner in line was converted in the same way as the second Runner in line in my first two photos, i.e. his support peg was removed and I cut off his left hand.
For the Runner at the far right I left his support peg under his left foot intact. I bent his right arm so that it is pointing forward instead of down, using the flame and cold water technique described above.
I hope the conversion techniques I have described above shows that converting figures can be easy and can be done by anyone with the minimum of skill. After all, how hard can it be to cut a limb off or drill some holes into a plastic figure? The flame and cold water technique is harder to achieve as it is so easy to get the figure too close to the flame or heat it up for too long. But if the worst comes to the worst, just cut the limb off. These are zombies after all!
Next up - Toxic Walkers.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely work once again Bryan, and I'm especially impressed with the chap in the blue and white hooped shirt. Indeed you put some incredible detail on these minis what with the small print on the back of their caps and their belt straps etc. Stuff I'd certainly be tempted to give a miss were they in front of me. I'm really enjoying these particular "Toxic Mall" posts as they're increasingly making me consider painting my own up (which is usually the point of my posts - to encourage people to go out and buy/paint the models I've posted) and yours always do the same to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great comment, Simon. I always knew that I wanted to paint one of the T-shirt wearers with a hooped T-shirt and I'm happy with how he came out. I hope you do feel inspired to paint your own Zombicide figures soon. With my own posts and those of Bob Kinnear, for example, you have plenty of inspiration to draw upon.

      Delete
  2. Nicely painted and modified. They all look marvellous dude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you sir. I get very bored painting the same figure yet you make yours look so very different each time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same, Clint. I like variety, both in poses and colour schemes.

      Delete
  4. Bryan, I'm loving the paint jobs and conversion work you're doing on the Toxic Crowd set. You're inspiring me to try some things with my Toxic Crowd boxed set once it arrives ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell you how delighted I am to hear that my work is inspiring others, like yourself and Blaxkleric. It just goes to show what can be done with a little imagination.

      Delete
  5. Beautifully done Bryan! More great conversions and t-shirts Dude! Your level of gore is spot on too. Thanks for the shoutout Dude!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob. I was more than happy to give you the recognition you so richly deserve.

      Delete
  6. Agree totally with Clint. These figures could have ended up looking very repetitive but the varied ways in which you have finished them completely banish that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Hugh. The last thing I wanted was a load of figures all looking identical. As I said to Clint, I like variety.

      Delete