Wednesday 4 October 2017

Shadows of Brimstone Heroes 03

I recently showed some of the new resin cast sculpts by Flying Frog Productions for their Shadows of Brimstone game. As well as making alternative figures for the eight original Heroes in the two starter sets, they also make new Heroes that you can add to your posse. I have three of the new Hero archetypes so far, but more are available. The ones I own are the Drifter, the Orphan and the Prospector. Each set comes with male and female versions, which I most certainly approve of.
At the far left are the two figures for the Drifter. A Drifter is an enigmatic and deadly force to be reckoned with. An expert shot, and the grittiest Hero around, the Drifter's skills as a fighter and a survivor are unmatched. His long years of experience can prove invaluable in helping the posse as a whole, but a darkness surrounds his past and seems to be almost drawn to him, making his presence a danger to all. No prizes for guessing who the male Drifter is based on - Clint Eastwood's Man With No Name from the Dollar trilogy of films. To me, the female has a Mexican vibe about her. They're both great figures.
In the centre are the two Orphans. Orphans have low Health, but can constantly bounce back from damage with their Youth ability. They are Quick and agile, moving before enemies at their Initiative level, and automatically passing all Escape tests, but do not have the discipline or strength to Dual Wield guns. An Orphan's greatest asset is her speed and manoeuvrability. Combine that with a mission of vengeance, and you have one tough cookie. It is nice to see some youngsters added to the mix of Heroes, as they are most often overlooked.
Finally, are the two Prospectors, at the far right of the group. One of the most hearty classes around, Prospectors have very high Health and Sanity, as well as a Miner's Canteen to heal up either. With a powerful Heavy Pick Axe and the ability to make Deathblows (a critical critical hit, or Crit Crit if you will), Prospectors may be slow but they can deal out horrendous damage when the chips are down. This combined with their Crotchety nature, preventing them from using guns or Tech items, means the Prospector's focus is as a close quarters tank in the field. Their Expert Miner ability also means that they will never be short of Gold or Dark Stone, and can even help those around them get rich along the way. The male Prospector is very heavily laden with loads of gear. The female looks quite formidable with her dark glasses.
Every one of these figures has been superbly sculpted in resin. The detail on them is crisp and sharp. Sadly, these are not easy to get hold off outside of the USA, and they are quickly sold out when they appear in the web-store. I acquired all of mine from sellers on eBay. None of these were cheap as they are highly sought after and are swiftly snapped up. It is such a shame they aren't more widely available.
I haven't named any of these yet, but the male Drifter will almost certainly be used as the Man With No Name in my games.

12 comments:

  1. Nice additions Bryan, the favourite in the group has to be the man with no name, not overly keen on the female prospector, as her outfit looks impractical for this role, but that's just my opinion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. I do agree with you. I was surprised to see the female prospector wearing a dress. I'd have thought jeans or dungarees would have been more appropriate.

      Delete
  2. Mighty fine looking set of characters Bryan! My fave's in the bunch are the two Drifters, but it's also great to see some more "juveniles" available for the western games.
    I would have prefered the female prospector to be holding a seiving pan, but I suppose they went with a pick as a 'weapon' - the temptation would be there to cut it away and convert her to a "school m'am" if it were in my collection ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Greg. Yes, my favourites are the Drifters as well. I must admit, I did think about converting the female prospector, but the rarity value of a female prospector won out in the end. I don't know of anyone else who makes female prospectors.

      Delete
  3. Blogs work in very funny ways. I was going to mention the real name of Sanjuro Kuwabatake but the illuminarti (they don't exist)deleted my comment.

    So instead Will you settle for nice figures well painted and I feel they will add to the game immensely. A good job well done by you. (Wink wink say no more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think after eight years of blogging I'd know all there is to know about Blogger but it can still find ways to throw me a curveball. Ho-hum! Or it could just be the Illuminati (who don't exist) meddling again!

      Thanks for the comment, mate. It is appreciated!

      Delete
  4. An interesting bunch of figures. I understand that this is for a fantasy game, but I can't help feeling a bit bemused at the idea of an Old West woman in trousers - it seems somewhat unlikely in the historical setting on which this is based! For that matter, having the same career choices as men also seems unlikely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hugh. Given the nature and background of the game, I can overlook any historical inaccuracies. It's just a game, after all.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Bryan I really like the prospectors both the models and the description of their skills/nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. Nice to see someone liking the prospectors.

      Delete