Saturday 24 February 2018

Necromunda: House Orlock Gangers 01

Having just bought the new Games Workshop plastic House Orlock gangers for Necromunda, I thought I'd show you my old Orlock Gangers as a prelude to seeing the new figures. Of all the Necromunda gangs I owned, the Orlocks were the biggest in terms of numbers. As a consequence, many of the figures I'm showing you were not used in my campaign. Only 12 out of my 31 figures made an appearance. Also, because this gang was run by another one of my playing group, he kept their gang roster sheet, so I only have names for a few of the gangers. He decided to call this gang, Murder Inc. In this post I'll showcase the leaders, heavies and juves and cover the gangers in my next post. All of these lead figures were produced by Citadel Miniatures in the mid-1990's
At the far left is the gang's leader, Don "The Godfather" Makowski. Neil, who ran this gang wanted a Mafia vibe to them. Don is armed with a Meltagun, Las Pistol, Chainsword and a Knife. He was an average leader and he did survive the campaign. I can't recall any notable actions of his. They were the first gang to be defeated by the Badland Bastards, a match that was reported in the Necromunda News weekly newsletter. "Big Fub and the Badland Bastards met new arrivals, Murder Inc. at Toxic Sills and gave them a warm, friendly Goliath greeting by kicking the crap out of them. Big Fub had this to say about them, "We don't need no need no stinkin' Orlock scum infesting our turf, so we had to teach 'em some manners and respect... just to keep 'em in their place!" When asked for a comment after his gang's defeat, Don "The Godfather" Makowski had this to say, "Hey, wassamatter you? Gotta no respect? Ah, shaddappa your face!""
The figure to the right of Makowski is an alternative leader type, armed with a Bolter, an Axe and a Las Pistol. He is unnamed and was not used in my campaign. Neil was right to chose the other figure for his leader as he has much better weapons.
Next up are the three Orlock heavies. In the centre of this group is Kelvin "Boom Boom" Okawitz. Although he is shown here armed with a Heavy Flamer, a Las Pistol and a Knife, he later replaced the Heavy Flamer with a Heavy Plasma Gun. He went down in history as the ganger who spectacularly failed to assassinate Big Fub. Despite hitting Big Fub with the first shot of the game and taking him out, he not only failed to wound the Goliath leader, but gave him a set of Impressive Scars, which further enhanced Big Fub's reputation. The term, "epic fail" springs to mind!
The other two heavies are unnamed and were not used. Second from the right, this heavy is armed with a Heavy Bolter, a Las Gun and a Knife. The heavy at the far right is armed with an Autocannon, an Auto Pistol and a Knife.
Next up are the juves of the gang. I don't have names for any of them and I believe only two of them were used in my campaign and they were the first and fourth in line from the left. The one at the far left is armed with an Auto Pistol, Frag Grenades and a Knife. Next to him, this juve is armed with a Stub Pistol and a Club. The next juve in line was a conversion of the previous figure. I repositioned his right arm and replaced his Stub Pistol with a Bolt Pistol.
The last three juves in line are armed with an Autopistol and Knife, a Stub Pistol and Knife, and a Las Pistol and Knife respectively. The juve second from the right is a conversion of the one at the far right and has had his Las Pistol replaced with a Stub Pistol. Just like the Goliaths I showed last time, these are very cool sculpts and I don't think there is a bad sculpt amongst them.

22 comments:

  1. Wow! Bryan, what a cracking posting, and array of minis these are. Lots to see and enjoy, with the Juves in particular having lots of splendid details picked out. I especially like all their cream sashes - it really contrasts to the rich blue you've used for the majority of their trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Simon. Black, blue and cream are the predominant colours of this gang and it's a good combination. As you say, the cream is a nice contrast.

      Delete
  2. My old Orlock's I played as a future Yakuza themed force, inspired by Big Trouble in Little China. I like your paint scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Phil. That sounds like a great idea for a themed Orlock gang.

      Delete
  3. Looking good Bryan. The models for this gang were always up top as my favourites out of all the gangs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Simon. They weren't my favourite gang but nor were they my least favourite. I just didn't have any strong feelings one way or another towards them.

      Delete
  4. Great looking Orlocks Bryan, and some classic old metals there

    ReplyDelete
  5. These guy's are really nicely painted,i like how you did the flamer on boom boom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. The flamer nozzle adds a bit of colour to an otherwise drab figure.

      Delete
  6. Love the back stories, especially Kelvin "Boom Boom" Okawitz and Big Fub. That's the stuff that great campaigns are made of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Tim. It is incidents like these that stick in the memory.

      Delete
  7. These guys formed the main adversaries of my Goliaths too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised, Andy, seeing as the old starter set featured plastic Goliaths and Orlocks.

      Delete
  8. More classic GW, and lovely paintwork too, seems you never did things by half, did you.;-)

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger. You're right, mate, but I must admit I did love old school "Necromunda" very much, and I'm getting a similar vibe with this new edition.

      Delete
  9. Yes I can see why, there did seem to be a close association between GW and 2000ad back in the day, not only about the official crossover games by about the GW stuff in general, glad you're feeling this again.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. When GW launched "Necromunda" back in 1995, one of my first thoughts was that it looked so much like Mega City One. I still do!

      Delete
  10. The Orlocks still look cool all these years later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree with you, Clint... and the new plastic Orlocks are even cooler.

      Delete
  11. They look great Bryan. My models from back then haven't survived into the present. Whie I still hoard old lead my painting back then was just too awful so if they ever rear their heads they will have to be wearing new coats. I'm getting started on my new Necromunda models too. I find the hardest part of a new project is finding a cool colour scheme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, HP. Sorry to hear about your old figures. I do agree with you about coming up with new colour schemes is the hardest part. I want all of my new plastic gangers to look different from my old gangs but still be recognisable as belonging to their respective Houses.

      Delete