Sunday 18 April 2010

Horrorclix Male Vampires

Following on from my review of the Horrorclix female vampires here are the male vampires. Without further ado, let's have a look at them.
At the far left of the photos is a Vampire Enforcer from the basic set. He is not a named vamp but for me he is Angelus, the evil alter-ego of Angel from the Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series. Just look closely at his face and there is a definite similarity to David Boreanaz's eponymous character. As a huge fan of both shows I love this figure. Quite a few companies make not-Buffy figures but this is the closest I've seen to a not-Angel figure. I'd still like to see someone sculpt a good Angel figure rather than his evil version. He is dressed in Victorian-style clothes and wields a long dagger/short sword.
Next in line is a Victorian Vampire from the Freakshow expansion set. The veteran version of this figure is called Gerard, which would not appear in my top fifty names to call a vampire! Here you get two figures for the price of one - vampire and victim.The vampire is dressed as a member of the high class in top hat and suit, with a long coat. He is bearing his fangs, prior to sinking them into the exposed neck of his female victim. She lies in his arms and looks like she is about to faint. It is a very nicely sculpted vignette and is quite unusual in combining the two figures together.
In the centre of the group is Stoker, one of the 12 unique figures from the starter set. I was lucky enough to get a swap of him, so I could keep one for my Horrorclix games and rebase the other for use in other games. Stoker appears to be based on Gary Oldman's portrayal of Dracula in the 1992 film Bram Stoker's Dracula. Given the name that WizKids have given to this figure I must assume it is no coincidence. This figure looks distinctly inhuman as he is about to flex his long wings. Also, note the animalistic shape of his legs.
To his right is the Vampire Roustabout, another figure from the Freakshow expansion set. The veteran version has been given the name Bloody Tom. Hmm, no prizes for guessing why! A circus strongman with vampiric strength is going to be immensely strong indeed. The muscles of his arms are very pronounced. His bald head shows he was not in front of the queue when good looks were handed out as he has a nasty scar running down the right side of his face. He wears an ankh necklace. Note that this is a very tall figure - 37mm from sole of feet to top of head. Somehow, that doesn't matter - he should be a giant of a man and his height only adds to his character.
The fifth and final figure from this group is Nosferatu and he, too, is from the basic set. In the role playing game Vampire: the Masquerade Nosferatu was the name given to a whole clan of vampires. Indeed, Nosferatu is not the name of a single vampire but a type of vampire characterised by their ugliness. The pretty boy vampires from the works of Anne Rice and Stephenie Meyer could never be described as Nosferatu! This particular figures bears a passing resemblance to the Max Schreck character, Count Orlok, in the 1922 film, Nosferatu. Bald head - check, long pointed ears -check, gaunt face - check, simple two-piece dark suit - check. He is bent over, rubbing his hands in anticipation, which gives him a rather sinister look.
These figures complement the females very nicely, although only the Vampire Roustabout would look most at home in a contemporary setting due to his choice of clothing. Still, perhaps the others haven't caught up with modern living. If you are looking for some cheaply priced vampires to start or bolster your collection, these are worth checking out on the Internet auction websites. However, given that Stoker is a unique figure be prepared to pay a lot more for him. The rest ought to be picked up for pennies or cents.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. I like Bloody Tom the best. Is he a rare I dont remember ever seeing him before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bloody Tom is not one of the rare sculpts. He comes in rookie, experienced and veteran versions. The rookie and experienced versions are called Vampire Roustabout and the veteran version is called Bloody Tom. If you want one, let me know as I still have a few swaps of this figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete