Wednesday 23 February 2011

Four A Miniatures Survivors

Last September I reviewed a few zombies from a new company that had sprung up - Four A Miniatures. At the same time as I bought the zombies I bought three survivor type figures and seeing as I have been reviewing a lot of survivor figures recently I thought I'd review these three 35mm scale figures now. Yes, you did read that correctly - they are 35mm scale, meaning they do tower over the likes of Hasslefree Miniatures. Don't let that put you off until you've read my review.
First up is Alexis, and what more can I say than hubba, hubba, hubba! She has the most spectacular rack I've seen on many a figure. Her nipples stand proud and firm. I don't mind nips that I can hang my hat on but when I can hang my umbrella on them, well...! Okay, okay, smutty comments over but feel free to add your own. Alexis has the look of a savage about her and would not be out of place in a barbarian fantasy setting, although I think she works perfectly well in a post-apocalyptic world. I think she'd be quite at home amongst the Glaswegian headbangers from the film Doomsday. I know the critics slagged this film off but I loved it. Her hair is wild and unkempt. That white bit is a streak in her hair, not a feather, whilst the blue bit is a headband. Have you noticed that her trousers are not buttoned/zipped up all the way? That's just asking for trouble! Her choice of footwear are heavy biker's boots. Her only weapon is a two-handed axe, but just look at the muscles on her arms, particularly in the second photo. I reckon she could crush a man's skull easily. Heck, I bet she could crush a man's skull in her cleavage! Alexis stands 35mm tall from sole of feet to top of head.
In the centre of the group is a dude known only as Rasta Bodyguard. It is with figures like this guy that I really don't mind them being oversized. If he was true 28mm scale he wouldn't look quite so menacing or intimidating. This brute, however, looks as hard as nails and as intimidating as you can get. Check out that scowl. The size of his holsters suggests he is carrying two of the most powerful handguns in the world - real Big Ass Pistols. As if they weren't bad enough he has a couple of human skulls dangling from his belt. You can just see the intimidation factor going up and up. God knows what is in the pouches on the back of his belt. You'd think it would be ammo clips for his pistols but to be honest it could be almost anything. If you're looking for a figure that screams, "don't fuck with me!" then look no further! He stands 39mm tall from sole of feet to top of head.
The third and last figure of this group is Top Hat, a rather apt name given his choice of headwear. He wouldn't look too out of place in a Wild West setting. His rifle is fitted with a ginormous telescopic sight. The only time I've seen sights as long as this was in the film The Outlaw Josey Wales when Josey teaches Jamie what a "Missouri boat ride" is! As an aside, I rate The Outlaw Josey Wales as my all time favourite Clint Eastwood movie. So, back to Top Hat. I have no idea what make the rifle is but it has a very wide barrel! This is a figure that is full of character. Note how the wind is blowing his hair and has caught the flap of his long coat. I think he's a great figure. He measures 39mm from the sole of his feet to the top of his hat. Bear in mind, the top hat adds quite a bit to his overall height.
Once the world has collapsed and civilisation has disintegrated in a zombie apocalypse, these are the kind of folks I'd expect to see. Every one of them looks more than capable of surviving in a post-apoc world and they are extremely well sculpted by Jim Bowen, even if they are on the tall side. Their height does not bother me as I like to see a mixture of heights amongst my figures. Each figure costs a very reasonable £2.50. I've included the website address for Four A Minis in the sidebar listing of my favourite websites. In my next post I'll be getting back to reviewing zombies - yay!

21 comments:

  1. I must admit I have quite a few figures from Four A miniatures but not these but now I need to get the Rasta Bodyguard but not the impressive rack with great nipples....I will be strong.
    Good work, review and paintjobs my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a good example of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis - "Look into my eyes, Angry Lurker. You know you want me. Look into my...sigh...! Okay, look at my boobies! You are growing weaker. You will succumb! just look at my nips! You want them! You NEED them!"
    Ahem, apologies, Angry Lurker!

    @ArmChairGeneral. Agreed. They are quality sculpts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the rack. You could hang a Volkswagon from those puppies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Willy. Or as the great Billy Connolly once said, "you could have somebody's eye out with them!" Oh man, they are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't think which one I like best......gotta be the boobies I'm afraid, nicley done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are two reasons why I like Alexis best, Ray! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, Alexis, hands-down. I almost think you should have posted her by herself. I almost didn't notice the two gents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Luckyjoe. QUOTE - "I almost didn't notice the two gents" Hee, hee, laughing my ass off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH! my word.......

    Nice minis Bro, but I think the Zeds would be to afraid to approach her hahaha, she has WMD's (weapons of mass destruction).

    Good work mate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @The Extraordinarii. I've never heard them called that before but I think you're right!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would she count as having BAB? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just back for another look at Alexis.

    BAB is good, or maybe BATs.

    Where can I get a bunch of Amazons with this type of gear for my Viking campaigns?

    ReplyDelete
  14. You guys just crack me up!

    @Willy. I don't know where you get a bunch of them but I do know where you can get one. There must be firms out there making naked or scantily clad Amazon types. Time to invoke Google Fu... or wait until someone offers a suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Back for another look at the rack.

    Hmm, I need to do a little research. The Amazon idea is really taking hold.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Willy. You're almost as obsessed with Alexis as I am! Let me tell you a little secret. Once I've painted a figure it gets put away in a box until it is ready to be used. Alexis, however, has joined my group of Vampirella figures standing on my computer monitor stand, so that I can view them everyday! I have plenty of other bare chested female minis but none with quite so spectacular a rack as Alexis and it just feels wrong to hide her away.

    A quick search on Google and I came across Bronze Age Minis, who sell an Amazonian warband on their website. Here's their web address -
    http://www.bronzeagemin.com/miniatures_html/25MM/FANTASY/barbarians/32bar-miniature.htm
    They are 32mm scale, which means they would fit in well alongside Alexis. If you think they are too big for your other Vikings you can just say that all Amazons are extremely tall. QED!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Woo Hoo! These are pretty darned slick. Even Alexis will get a run from these gals.
    Thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Willy you could try shadowforge minis, they only do female minatures and they cover many periods, dont know about scale though.

    http://www.shadowforge.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  19. @Willy. I'm not sure how many you want but I figure a small warband seeing as most of your games are small skirmishes. I quite like the look of these myself.

    @The Extraordinarii. Having had a vaery good look through their complete collection of figures, I must thank you for posting this website. I'm not sure if there is much in there that would do for Willy's Amazon warband but there is a lot of stuff I'm interested in. I've bookmarked the site for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Extra. I had just remembered about those guys in Oz as well and even went to take a look.

    Bryan, LTL Mom took a peek at those Barbarian gals and thought they were pretty cool, but she has threatened to file down their boobs to more realistic presentations.

    ReplyDelete
  21. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Those boobies look perfectly realistically proprtioned to me! There's nowt wrong with big and bouncy boobies! Who wants to see the equivalent of two fried eggs on a plate? Not me, dude!

    ReplyDelete