Sunday 13 February 2011

Hasslefree UK Police 01

As a follow up to my review of Hasslefree's American police figures from their 28mm scale Adventurers range here's a look at their English cops from the same range.
At the far left is HFA032 Officer Nick, or to give him his full name, Nicholas Angel, star of the wonderful Hot Fuzz film, as played by Simon Pegg. It really is a cracking good likeness. In the promo shots of him on the HF website he is pictured holding his shotgun pointed at the ground. I wanted to show him in a more aggressive pose so I repositioned the right arm so that he could be firing the shotgun from the hip. Note that both arms are separate castings so it's an easy job to reposition them. I also decided to spruce up his base by adding a traffic cone, after all, what could be more British? The cone was made by Foundry Figures, although other firms also sell them.
Next up is Nick's partner from Hot Fuzz, HFA033 PC Sam Ford, although in the film, Nick Frost's character was called Danny Butterworth. Once again, the likeness is remarkable. I especially like the fact that he has been sculpted with his helmet on. It wouldn't have looked right on Officer Nick but here it looks perfect. This is a two-piece casting, with the arms and shotgun separate from the body.
The final two figures are HFA034 Riot Cop Neil. Neil comes with a choice of two arm options - a riot gun (which could fire rubber bullets or tear gas) or a truncheon and shield. When presented with multiple arm options, I usually end up buying two figures so that I can make one of each. As I said before, it's a clever marketing ploy of Hasslefree. Looking at them side by side in my two photos you can hardly tell that they are the same figure.
My one and only criticism of this range is that I wish there were more figures in it. US cops are a lot easier to get hold off than UK cops. I'd especially like to see a figure of WPC Doris from Hot Fuzz, as female UK cops are especially rare, plus she was a great character in the film. Even though my own ATZ campaign is set in America, I'd still like to see more UK cops.
Officer Nick and Riot Cop Neil cost £4.00 apiece, whilst PC Sam Ford is just £3.50.

14 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like the Sam Ford figure, only because of the helmet, for females you could always use the WPC May Killan (Dr Who figure) from Crooked dice??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point about the not Amy Pond figure, Ray. I'll check out their website as I seem to remember Kevin White sculpted some of their Doctor Who figures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely stuff and I was going to recommend the same thing as Ray the only reason I haven't gone with these figures is because like you my zombietown is set in the USA but they are great, there is another company in the UK that does modern UK police with mounted aswell but for the moment the website escapes me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure that the firm you're thinking of is Offensive Miniatures. They do a range of riot cops with shields as well as mounted cops. I've been looking at them for some time and they are definitely on my shopping list. Incidentally, Killer B Games make a lot of UK cops and detectives, but they are all 1970's style. I have them but I couldn't recommend them for games set in this century.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You,re right my friend, the only problem I had with them was they were a little smaller than other 28mm ranges.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! I wasn't real crazy about the riot cop figure before but now I'm thinking he would be a good purchase.

    As a police officer, cop minis are something I'm definitely going to be collecting soon. I like the Copplestone Casting and the West Wind miniatures but my objections is that the cops are wearing their gestapo bus driver hats. Tactical Miniatures has some bare headed cops but the sculpting looks kind of subpar. Anyone know of some more good police figs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the first two. I have yet to decide where my zombietown is situated. So have not yet thought about police. I apllaud these reviews you do! Good work and a big thank you from one gamer to another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have just finished reading Flu, a zombie novel set in Belfast, where two of the characters are police men who travel around in full riot gear. aparently it's very useful when fighting Zeds.
    I love these minis and I think I might have to get them. By teh way, what about No Go Zone for british coppers? They might go well togeather?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Task Force Z. Foundry do a couple of sets of US beat cops in their Street Violence range, but if you don't like them wearing their "gestapo bus driver hats" (what a great term that is!) then you probably won't like them. This is a subject that I need to do more research on.

    @Lord Siwoc. Yours is the kind of comment that makes doing this blog so worthwhile. Thank you for your support and I'm glad I can be of some help to you.

    @Rob. Flu is on my list of books to buy so thanks for mentioning it. I could well imagine that a cop in full riot gear or even a SWAT trooper would make great zombie hunters. Speaking of SWAT troopers I have lots of them that I want to review. As for No Go Zone, I must admit that I've never heard of it. Care to enlighten me?

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite from this batch, hands down, is Ford. Great paint.
    Something bugs me about the dual wield on Nick. Maybe it is because I can't fathom why anyone would screw around with a handgun when they got a shotgun! But it is still a great figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd have to agree with you, Willy. I too, think Sam Ford is the pick of this crop. With Nick, it's not just that he has a shotgun and pistol, but he's a hero, so his pistol is silver-plated - flash git!

    ReplyDelete
  12. No Go Zone - follow this link
    http://www.no-go-zone.com/

    I havn't got any of these minis, but they look the buisness. They do bobbies, riot police and paramedics/fire crew. very useful.

    regarding 'Flu'- I really liked this book. fast paced and fun. not Dickens, perhaps, but entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the link, Rob. I've just had a look at the website and you're right - they do look the business. I've bookmarked their site and I'll probably send them an order soon.

    As for "Flu" I've ordered it from Amazon and should have it soon. Again, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wondered if you used decals for the POLICE on the shield? if so could you point me in the right direction please?

    ReplyDelete