Wednesday 26 December 2012

Sideshow Collectibles 2012 Vampirella Statue

A short while ago I placed an on-line order with Amazon for my main Christmas present. My mum very kindly agreed to pay for it. Considering how much it cost this was an extremely generous offer. No, I'm not saying what I paid for it, but it was the most I have ever paid for a figure. For quite some time now I have had my eye on the Sideshow Collectibles 1/4 scale Vampirella statue. As soon as I saw her I fell in love with her and I knew that I had to have her. It is quite simply the best figure of Vampirella I have ever seen and without doubt, the best Christmas present I have ever received, even if she did arrive early.
This is the box that the model came in and it is HUGE! The box measures 26" by 22" by 8" (66cm by 56cm by 20cm) and features this stunning piece of artwork.
And this is what is inside the box - Vampirella sitting on the skull of a dragon, surrounded by human skulls and bones with a rat trying to keep hidden from view. You can just see the rat lurking in between the two human skulls.
At 1/4 scale this statue is tall. The base measures 14.5" by 10" (37cm by 25cm) and Vampirella is 13" (33cm) tall. If she was standing up, you could easily add another 3 or 4 inches to her height. She is cast in heavyweight polystone and weighs 18 pounds or just over 8 kilograms. Believe me, that is some weight!
Vampirella's hair is much longer on this model than how it usually appears in the comics but I am not criticising the sculptor for that because I think it looks gorgeous. It is so full of movement
The model comes in numerous parts. Vampirella's head and arms are attached to her body with powerful magnets. The skulls, bones and rat are attached to the base by means of plugs. They tend to move about if you pick up the model but Vampirella herself and the dragon skull are held firmly in place
The painting of Vampirella is exquisitely done. Just look at her face - it is truly outstanding. Note that her earrings are gold-plated rather than painted. Her skimpy red costume is made of shiny, red leather. Yes, I did what any other male would do and I checked to see if her nipples had been sculpted on. They had been!
The painting of the skulls and bones and the rat is equally impressive. Just check out the amount of shading on this close up. Likewise, notice the shading on the base as well.
I only have one minor criticism to make of the model and you can see here that Vampirella's bat logo is missing from the crotch of her red costume. If I hadn't mentioned it, I very much doubt if any of you would have noticed that. You have to be a big Vampi fan to notice a little detail like that.
I keep most of my Vampirella models and statues in my bedroom/man cave. However, this one has pride of place on our china cabinet in the living room. Even my mum couldn't fail to be impressed by the quality of this sculpt and she was quite happy for me to display it so prominently in our lounge.
I have managed to collect a fair number of Vampirella figures, models and statues over the years but none have had quite the impact as this one on me. This shows Vampirella at her best. She is sexy, confident, playful and stunningly beautiful. Not only has she made this my best Christmas ever, she has made my year. I hope your Christmas was as good as mine!

20 comments:

  1. Superb looking statue Bryan. I can see why your so chuffed with it. It is Exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aye, she's a real beauty, Simon!

      Delete
    2. I am so Happy you got something you really wanted. I guess you were on the NICE LIST with Santa.

      Nice Model.

      Delete
    3. I've been a very good boy this year, Clint. Just ask my mum.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That's a gorgeous statue. I can see why you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent! I've never seen a pre-painted statue that well done Bryan!
    You should take a photo of yourself holding it for your blog! What a great Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. I'll see what I can do about getting a photo of me and Vampi, but I'm not making any promises.

      Delete
  4. Wow awesome! She looks so real it's very impressive. I love the work on her skin, it looks like so soft if you touch it. But 8Kg it must be the biggest Vampirella i have ever seen. Congratulations Bryan you're very lucky to recieve this treasure.
    It must cost a leg... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the biggest Vampirella model I have seen as well, Pandafurtif. She is also the heaviest and most expensive. Since buying her, she has shot up in value, so she is quite an investment.

      Delete
  5. Very cool, the painter did an amazing job on it, just look at the skin tones, fantastic. I to got a great crimbo present, a new printer from the wife

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, SK. A new printer sounds really cool. I hope you get a lot of use out of it.

      Delete
  6. She does look magnificent. Have a good new year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A truly stunning piece of art. Happy New year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is stunning, Sean. All the best to you, mate!

      Delete
  8. Now that is one very eye catching statue! You could easily stare at it for ages! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. I collect anime figurines off and on and I see some nice stuff that I cant afford, lol but this is the best figurine I have ever seen. I dont understand why it doesnt come to life! Congrats on a great find :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Roger. Being a huge fan of Vampirella I have seen many figures, models and statues of her but none have been as good as this one. She really is something special. I am very proud to have her in my collection. In my dreams, she does come to life!

      Delete