Sunday 30 December 2012

Vampifan's Views 32 - Monthly Musings 17

Vampirella by David Michael Beck
So, we reach the end of 2012 and for me, this has been the Year of Vampirella. Previous years were known as the Year of the Zombies (2009 - 2011) and prior to them were the Year of World Works Games (2008) and the Year of the Clowns (2007). These designations are based upon the most amount of money I spend on a particular subject and in 2012 I spent more on Vampirella than anything else. Thanks to the number of Vampirella statues and other merchandise I bought this was always going to be her year. Since I started work on my blog almost four years ago, I have spent a ridiculous amount of money on 28mm scale zombie figures. 2012 was no different to previous years in regards to my expenditure on them but something changed this year. I made a concerted effort to buy large scale, and quite often, expensive, models and statues of Vampirella. I am delighted with my collection but I doubt very much if I'll buy any more next year. That could change if I win the National Lottery but with my luck with money that is highly improbable.

As this is a time of reflection, I'd like to mention five of my heroes of 2012. First up is Ed Teixeira of Two Hour Wargames, who released Final Fade Out - the ultimate version of All Things Zombie, my favourite zombie skirmish game a few months ago. I was honoured to be asked to play test the rules, but even if I hadn't, Ed would still have been one of my heroes just for consistently releasing great skirmish games that can be played with opponents or solo. This latter point is hugely important to me since my gaming group disbanded and scattered to the four winds shortly after 2001. THW has been an absolute godsend to me, allowing me to participate in gaming without an opponent.
2012 saw the emergence of a new card scenery company - Stoelzel's Structures. As followers of my blog will know, I am a huge fan of card scenery, especially the work done by World Works Games. It took me a while to take the plunge and make one of Carl Stoelzel's models (it was the Cottage) but I was well aware from the outset that Carl was going to be a serious rival to WWG. As I got to know Carl through his forum and comments on various blogs, including mine, I realised what a great guy he is. He listens to criticisms and suggestions and acts upon them. I now have no hesitation in saying his card models are the best on the market.
Another newcomer called Carl is Carl Sutherland (aka Rovanite) of Grekwood Miniatures. He also set up shop in 2012 and he is just as friendly as Mr. Stoelzel. I was friends with Carl's brother, Gareth, on the Forum of Doom and was very saddened by his death at a tragically young age. Carl set up his miniature figures company to honour Gareth and I am very heartened to support Carl in this noble venture. The fact that most of Carl's figures are zombie related is a huge plus for me.
One figure company who have been going strong since 2009 is Studio Miniatures. I have said time and time again on my blog that they make the best zombie figures on the market. Earlier this year, they teamed up with Indiegogo to produce a range of plastic zombie miniatures. I was one of the first people to pledge financial support to this project. It easily surpassed its financial target and their plastic zombies are every bit as good as their metal zombies. I received my parcel of 176 plastic zombies, plus extras about a month ago. You can well imagine my surprise when I received a second parcel of 40 plastic zombies plus extras a few weeks later. Stuart, the head of Studio Minis, included a note with the parcel, thanking me for all the positive reviews I had given his company on my blog. This parcel was a thank you gift in appreciation of my kind words. So, I have no hesitation in nominating Stuart as another of my heroes.
A close contender to Studio Miniatures for the title of best zombie miniatures maker is Tengu Models. Their range of zombie figures is much smaller than that of Studio but they are all very high quality. A couple of months ago, Iain at Tengu released a load of new zombie figures, including zombie dogs and zombie aliens. He kindly sent me a few free samples, again for the work I do on my blog. I am currently painting his new stuff now, so expect a full review very soon. Iain gets the nod as my fourth hero of the year.
Last but by no means least is the author Max Brallier. Max wrote the novel Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse? a Fighting Fantasy style novel. I loved the book, which I reviewed in March of this year. Max really earned his hero nomination when he suggested I run a competition on my blog so that five of my lucky followers could win a copy of his novel. This was an extremely generous offer of Max's and the competition was a huge success with a large number of entries.

With the new year rapidly approaching this is a good time for making plans and resolutions. However, I have never been a one for making resolutions. As for my plans for 2013, they are the same as my plans for 2012 - paint more figures, make more card scenery, buildings and vehicles and continue my ATZ-FFO campaign. Now that I have finished making my Stoelzel's Warehouse (review coming up early next year) I am undecided on what building to start next. Possibilities include making my Blue Dragon Chinese Restaurant with the exterior based on the Stoelzel's M.U.C.K. set, although I may wait until Carl releases M.U.C.K. 2. I definitely want to make the Stoelzel's Circus for my Killer Klowns. Sunny is demanding I make it next! There are a lot of other Stoelzel's models that I want to make but the big problem is finding the time to make them.

The only film that I have seen at the cinema in December was Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2. Well, I had seen the other four, so I had to see the finale. Actually, it wasn't too bad. Bella (Kirsten Stewart) had annoyed the hell out of me in the previous films for her whiney attitude actually came good in the end, but only because she had been transformed into a vampire. Bella the human = thumbs down. Bella the vampire = thumbs up. I am currently reading The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. This is part two of the Millennium trilogy. Volume 1, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo was very slow to get started but really picked up after about 200 pages and got a lot better as it went on. The same is true of Volume 2. I am going to read all three novels before I buy the DVDs.

I hope you all had a great Christmas. As you will have seen from my last post, I certainly did. My Sideshow Collectibles 1/4 scale Vampirella statue is just awesome! The only other undead related stuff that I got were my 2013 calendars for Buffy the Vampire Slayer and True Blood. I'll sign off by wishing you all the very best for 2013. Happy New Year everyone!

39 comments:

  1. A great year for you in 2012, here's hoping 2013 proves to be just as good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. If 2013 turms out to be as good as 2012 I'll be happy.

      Delete
  2. It has been great to follow your blog this year Bryan, and you have inspired a lot of us to either make blogs of our own or just to fight the zombies!

    Thank you for a great blog, thank you for miniature reviews, thank you for your battle reports and thnk you for being a helpful survivor to the rest of us.

    I look forward to the year of 2013 knowing that you will be there mate!

    Manhug from Johnny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I much appreciate the compliments, Johnny. Manhug back at you for entertaining us with your own blog and your witty comments on the BotLL forum.

      Delete
  3. Talking of heroes, you're mine, Bryan! :)

    If it wasn't for your blog, and then you "in person", I'd never join the zombie gaming and more so for zombie blogging. And as I'm having enormous amount of fun with you guys, thank you!
    If you plan on celebrating, hope you have a good one. I am looking forward for another year of following your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, shucks, Mathyoo, you're making me blush! It's hard not to have fun in the land of zombie gaming when there are so many friendly and helpful gamers in our community.

      Delete
  4. This has been a GREAT year for your readers Bryan. I'm so glad you run your blog, it's really opened my eyes to what can be done with solo wargaming.

    Happy New Year sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jon. It has been a real labour of love running my blog and I guess it shows. Solo wargaming can be a lot of fun if you have the enthusiasm for it.

      Delete
  5. Have a great new year Bryan. Im looking forward to seeing the warehouse. I just finished Game Scapes ruined office block, but my parents borrowed my camera and they wont be back for a few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So we both have new buildings to show off, huh? I definitely want to see your ruined office block, SK. Have a great new year, mate.

      Delete
  6. I hope you had a great year Bryan. Also, I hope you realize what a pillar you have been in the zombie community these years. If not for your blog as a focal point, I'm sure many of us wouldn't have been able to make the plunge into the scene. Thanks for all you've done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very heart-warming to hear, Adam. Many thanks, my friend.

      Delete
  7. A good year again Bryan and a pleasure to drop over here...as always. Top blogger and man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right back at you, Fran! You are a gentleman yourself and your blog is an inspiration to many of us.

      Delete
  8. Nice One Bryan! I wonder what you'll be calling 2013.... "year of the ?" I guess only time will tell. I know you'll keep up the good work. I wish I could be as focused you.

    As a point of interest. When I checked the stats for my blog this blog was the greatest portal into mine. I took it as a huge compliment that I had so many hits via your blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also wonder what 2013 is going to be called? It was nice to be able to break the sequence of the Year of the Zombies in 2012.

      That's just fantastic news that your blog has had so many hits because of me. Quite frankly, I'm speechless!

      Delete
    2. Might be difficult to reference to a single year after the Vampifanian calendar if there are 3 Years of the Zombies already. Maybe you should differentiate a little more ;)

      Hehe, I must admit, Clint, I usually scroll through Bryan's sidebar and use his site as a jumpgate to many other blogs (including yours) rather than logging into my follow-list :D Seems this is not quite unusual.

      Delete
  9. Have loved following you blog this year and look forward to your goings on in 2013. Have a Happy New Year Bryan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so kind, Simon. I can promise you more of the same in 2013. Best wishes to you and your family.

      Delete
  10. Nice review of the year Bryan.
    I want to thank you and i'm very glad to have discover you and your blog. It's always a pleasure to read you.
    Lord Siwoc is right, you have inspired a lot of us and if a day I find the time to create my own ATZ blog it's thank to you.

    I wish you the best for 2013 and i will clink glasses for you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll happily clink glasses with you, Pandafurtif, but you'll have to excuse me if my tipple is non-alcoholic. I've been teetotal since 2000.

      Hopefully, 2013 will be the year that you start your own blog. If so, you know I'll be rooting for you and ready to offer any advice you might need. I wish you every success for the new year.

      Delete
  11. A very lovely post. Perhaps this will be the year of the foam. Seriously though, well done on the four years, I think I had been lurking your stuff for 3 of those years, and it never fails to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you're right, Carl, because I plan on making a lot of your models in 2013,

      Delete
    2. I lucked out today and got four sheets for 5 bucks (like 75 percent off). Didn't know it was on sale when I went, and I'm trying to build the church and the dungeon right now. I need every inch of those. IF this wasn't my year of the foam, than year of the photo-paper is a clear runner up. :)

      Delete
    3. That's a damned good offer, Carl. Fortunately, I'm well stocked with foamboard and mounting card at the moment. I still have about 400 sheets of high quality photo paper and enough glue to last a couple of years. One of the advantages of buying stuff in bulk!

      Delete
  12. A great new year to you, Bryan. As the others already said: Thanks for the inspiration and always being there with a few nice words and encouragement. I think to many of us you are the hero.
    2012 has been a pleasure to visit your blog and as long as posts keep coming we will keep coming back to read them :)
    Keep up the good work. I wish you all the best for 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Stefan. I love working on my blog, so you can expect a lot more of the same in 2013. I wish you all the best and have a great new year!

      Delete
  13. Cheers Bryan for all you've done within our community this year. Have a happy new year and I'll see n the other side of December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And cheers to you too, Bob. Best wishes to you and your family.

      Delete
  14. Happy New year Bryan, Its been a pleasure visiting and reading your blog all these years, keep up the great work, I wish you all the best in 2013, live long and play hard !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try my best, TE. I hope you have a great new year and that you achieve your resolutions.

      Delete
  15. Well 2013 is my year of Zombies.. I've been waiting for studio miniatures to release the plastics and now my cash is heading their way.. Then onto some card terrain.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nowt wrong with having a Year of the Zombies, Phil. I wish you good luck with your projects.

      Delete
  16. I look forward to seeing what you will do in 2013 Bryan! I hope you have a great year! And I think you should do your Chinese eatery! Those cool miniatures you sculpted need a place to call home! Also hope to see team Vampifan forming up soon! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Darkoath. The Chinese restaurant is high on my list of things to do in 2013, so hopefully it will happen.

      Delete
  17. Happy new year, Bryan. Best of luck on keeping up the great work. I'm always curious what you will do or find next. Its been really hard for me to stay in the hobby part of painting but your blog always keeps me inspired and in the game. I actually have a plan for my scenery now, so thanks again for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year, Roger. I'm so pleased that you have your mojo back and that you're thinking about scenery. I wish you the best of luck.

      Delete