Sunday 3 March 2013

Stoelzel's Car Parks

I mentioned in my last Monthly Musings post that I have been making a lot of ground tiles from Carl Stoelzel's Undeveloped Real Estate (URE) set. These are going to replace my WWG ground tiles for my ATZ-FFO campaign. Mayhem City is about to get a lot darker and grittier. When I first downloaded the URE set and saw what it included, I was delighted to see that Carl had added a large car park. Actually, he went one better as he added a parking strip as well. So the first URE ground tiles that I made were the car park and the parking strip. Here they are.
What I have done with the parking strips is to glue two strips back to back to form a small car park. I have added two urban road tiles at the right side of the car park. Logically, there should be more road tiles at the left side, (this is a drive-thru car park, as opposed to an enclosed car park) but I have omitted them due to the size restrictions of my foamboard. I should point out that all eight tiles that make up this car park are glued to a single piece of foamboard measuring 30" by 15". With the two centre tiles (top and bottom) you can extend the parking strip to make it as long as you want. The parking strip comes with two optional tiles and I have included both of them. First up is the tile with the two disabled parking bays, easily identified by the wheelchair symbols and the extra access space for the passengers.
The second optional tile is the crime scene tile, which I simply had to include. After all, Mayhem City is a notoriously violent place, even before it was hit by the zombie apocalypse. This is just one of a few crime scene tiles that Carl has added to the URE set. I think it is great and it made me smile as soon as I saw it. This crime scene tile has just one chalk outline on it where the victim was killed. Others have more victims identified by the chalk outlines.
I need to mention how I make my pavements. You can leave them flat, which is far and away the easiest option. You also have the choice for adding separate pavement pieces to foamboard. In my opinion, I thought that this raised the pavement too far off the ground so I came up with a compromise solution. I have glued my pavements to two strips of mounting card glued back to back. The double height mounting card raises the pavement about 3mm off the ground, as opposed to 5mm with foamboard. Typically, my solution involves the most work as I have to cut out two pieces of mounting card for each pavement section. It is very time consuming but on the plus side, I do like the end result.
One of the best pages of props that Carl has supplied with this set is a page of newspaper covers. I have added a couple of newspapers to the "island" that Vampifan is standing on. These cover two that Carl had added but by raising the pavement I lost a part of them on the side of the pavement. Adding a couple of the spare newspapers neatly solved that little problem.
This is the proper car park, which consists of 9 tiles. I have added the three urban road tiles to the right and the board measures 30" by 22.5". I use A1 sized foamboard and this is the biggest ground tile I can make out of a single sheet. Found in the Props section of the URE set are a car park ticket machine and a car park automated barrier. I printed out two of each and placed them on my small car park above and on this large car park. Note that they are not glued in place. I also pondered the idea of making the barrier rise and fall but in the end decided it wasn't worth the effort as for most of the time the barriers will be in the down position. Both props are reinforced with mounting card for extra strength and robustness, which should explain why the yellow and black barrier looks so thick. As with the parking strip, you can make the car park much bigger by adding more of the three central tiles.
I thought you'd like to see what the car park looks like when it is full of vehicles. Here is a collection of my card vehicles, mainly from WWG but also including Fat Dragon Games (you can now see how much bigger their sedan cars are compared to those from WWG) and a grey SUV from Mel Ebbles (now Genet Models). Unforgivably, there are no Stoelzel's vehicles in sight and that is because I haven't made any yet. Sorry, Carl! Even so, you have to admit that it does look impressive.
So, what's my verdict on on these ground tiles? Ever since WWG released their TLX Streets of Legend set, I have wanted a car park for Mayhem City. That was three years ago and since then nothing has happened despite numerous requests from me and others. When Carl announced that he was going to produce his own range of ground tiles a few months ago I asked him to include a car park in the set. He listened and he created the car park and the parking strip, both of which are excellent and which more than fulfil my needs. I thank you, Carl. I noticed that both Colin and Shintokamikaze mentioned that the car park was the first thing that they made from the URE set. I wasn't surprised. Any town or city needs car parks. If you want a car park for your campaign I urge you to look no further.
Also, bear in mind that the car park and the parking strip are just a very small part of the URE set. Next time I'll be reviewing some of the urban tiles from the set. I'll see you then.

28 comments:

  1. That looks superb Bryan especially with all those cars on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. The cars do make a difference, don't they?

      Delete
  2. Very nice Bryan, obviously a gas siphoning mission will be on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Plus there's the possibility of looting other cars, although that is not without risks. Is that a corpse in the car or a zombie?

      Delete
  3. The car park look awesome and I can't wait to see the new look Mayhem City!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be playing a new ATZ-FFO scenario very soon, but I haven't decided upon my layout just yet. If either car park doesn't make an appearance then, they will soon.

      Delete
  4. They look very good and not as dark as I'd anticipated from other photographs.
    I don't like the "crime scene", far too cartoony for my liking, but fun nevertheless.
    You've got quite a few good looking vehicles there that I can't emember having seen the light of day on your blog before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The URE tiles are a lot darker than the WWG Streets of Legend tiles. I had to adjust the Brightness levels on my printer to get my tiles looking less dark.

      Joe, I can assure you that ALL of the vehicles featured above have been reviewed on my blog in the past.

      Delete
  5. Excellent, as always! I've been wanting to build something like this myself for a while - I even went as far as to buy some 3mm foamboard for the sidewalks/pavements, so as to avoid the thickness issues you mention with the "standard" 5mm stuff. Ah, that project is still languishing in my "to do" list.

    Another thought: I've sometimes used small magnets and steel washers for items like the ticket barrier. You can put a magnet inside the baseboard (*under* the paper); this avoids any unsightly holes. Then stick a small, iron washer to the bottom of the box and hey presto! It'll stay in place when in use but come away easily to be packed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I never thought about using 3mm foamboard! That's a good suggestion, Hugh. Also, that's a top tip about using magnets. If I had any, I'm sure it would have occurred to me but I haven't and it didn't!

      Delete
    2. I inherited a bunch of magnets from old whiteboard/fridge stuff, so they didn't cost me anything. However, a quick scan of eBay suggests that magnets only cost a few pence each when bought in bulk.

      Delete
  6. This looks great! Carl has done a great job on these, as have you!

    We had a quick conversation about terrain being messier, and the art on these tiles helped. I think it would still benefit from more "stuff" on the board. Things like more newspaper machines, kiosks, mailboxes (especially the big ones that hold the mail for thirty houses/apartments), trashcans, assorted junk, etc..

    I was playing a couple of games of Malifaux last night, and even though we had a LOT of terrain out it still looked too bare to be real. I think we're really good at getting "macro" stuff out, and we tend to ignore the "micro" for terrain, though we add those kinds of details for our miniatures.

    Regardless Bryan, this looks great! The variety of vehicles definitely helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon, if you want cluttered tiles you must check out some of Carl's "dirty" tiles from this set that are almost covered with newspapers and assorted litter. I'll be using a lot of them as my campaign progresses.

      I totally agree with you about adding props to a game board to bring it to life. Definitely the more the better. As I mentioned in my review, Carl has added a page full of newspapers which you can use to make your game boards look as dirty and as littered as you want. I'll be using them a lot more as I get further into my campaign.

      As always, thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  7. Good review and a nice set. My question is regarding how you do the tiles. Have you always done full sheets of foam core? I see the logic for keeping things from shifting during play. I've seen people use vinyl floor tiles and was considering cork tiles (12" x 12") but just wondered what those of you with more experience thought? Oh, and the magnets is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had 3x3 board with cork tiles, but they've started wrapping on the edges. Should probably be glued to something stiffer. Other than that, texture is nice, paints nice and is easy to work with.

      Delete
    2. Sean, I'll address your questions about the size of my game boards in much greater detail in my next post. Suffice to say these car park boards are the exception rather than the rule for my new game boards. For the most part I'm going for 15" square tiles of foamboard, which is big enough to fit four of the URE ground tiles on. Each individual tile measures 7.5" by 7.5". As a consequence, I can tell you that your 12" square cork tiles would be of no use. They would work with WWG's Streets of Legends tiles, which measure 6" square.

      Delete
  8. Those are nice, especially the crime scene! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, I love the crime scene tile, Mathyoo!

      Delete
  9. That's a lot nicer than the WWG one I had, bloody nice piece of kit Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WWG had a kitbash car park for the old Streets of Mayhem set. I never got round to making it and I'm rather glad I didn't. Carl's car park looks far nicer.

      Delete
  10. Superb stuff Bryan, looks very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epic, a lot better than the ones i made, i cant wait to see them in action

    ReplyDelete
  12. The parking lot looks great Bryan, I like the fact that you made it rise by 3mm, subtle but adds so much to it, BTW do you know of a paper tile set that mimics an open country road ? need one for another project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Country roads, you ask? Look no further than Carl's Undeveloped Real Estate set. Roughly half of the ground tiles are for an urban setting and the other half for a rural setting. I'm concentrating on making urban tiles at the moment but I will be making lots of rural tiles later.

      Delete