Sunday 30 March 2014

Vampifan's Views 47 - Monthly Musings 28

Bomb Queen and friends having a sexy pillow fight. Oh boy!
I always start my Monthly Musings posts with an illustration of Vampirella. But this month. in recognition of the St, Trinian's Pillow Fight scenario I recently posted I give you this stunning piece of artwork by Jimmie Robinson, showing his most infamous and totally evil supervillain, Bomb Queen. Bomb Queen is the in the foreground wearing the visor and holding a pillow filled with various explosive devices. I imagine very few, if any, of you have even heard of Bomb Queen. Her comics are published by Image Shadowline and this particular picture appeared as a piece of bonus material in the Bomb Queen: Gang Bang graphic novel. This is how I imagine pillow fights should look like, which speaks volumes about my warped mind! I was going to open with a pillow fight scene that Bob/Irqan sent me (many thanks, Bob) but despite featuring scantily-clad young ladies, it just paled beside this illustration! I know that the St. Trinian's Pillow Fight scenario surprised all of you, and that was my intention. I had wanted to run it for ages now but just needed a good excuse to play the game. My St. Trinian's project was such an obvious choice as I'm sure it's something the girls would get up to. Future St. Trinian's scenarios should be more traditional skirmish war-gaming affairs... but you never know.
Currently on my painting table are 12 Gripping Beast 28mm civilian figures, which I bought recently following a recommendation from Hugh/Colgar6. He pointed out that the school master set of 4 figures included a suitable nurse I may be interested in. Having looked at her, she is very close to what I was after for my St. Trinian's school nurse, or Matron, as she is called. The other three, a teacher and two posh schoolboys, will come from a rival boys' school. The other two sets I got were the Squire and his family (wife, daughter and maid) and a sci-fi family (husband, wife, son and daughter). I have plans for all of them and I hope to review them before the end of April. I have made three more St. Trinian's schoolgirls by converting three of the Wargames Factory plastic female survivors. I made a first former with a tennis racket, Andrea the Emo with a hockey stick and Chloe the Posh Totty with some sticks of dynamite. The first former was simple conversion but the two older girls were much more complex conversions, involving a lot of work. A review will appear just as soon as I paint them.
I have another secret project on the go, that involves Team Vampifan but it is far too early to give away any more details. I'll tell you more about it in my next Monthly Musings.
I have only just started reading The Tale of the Vampire Bride by Rhiannon Frater, one of my favourite authors. The book is about 600 pages long and as soon as I finish it I'll be reading the first sequel, The Vengeance of the Vampire Bride. The second sequel, The Lament of the Vampire Bride is on my shopping list. These will keep me very happy for the rest of April.
I am still making my Stoelzel's Structures' Brummie's Burgers fast food restaurant. Work has slowed down on it because I am making lots of furniture items to add indoors, and they are always fiddly to make and time-consuming. Still, at least progress is being made.
Look out for some very cool figure reviews next month, including a two-parter on the best zombie apocalypse figures currently on the market. The best, you say? Who can they be by? Keep on reading!
Finally, today is Mothers' Day, so a big thank you from me to mums everywhere. God bless them!

20 comments:

  1. Nice one Bryan. I am not sure this is the reality of a pillow fight but it's your blog so why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that picture is just ridiculous :D :D

    I'm looking forward to see that Brummie King burger place finally built...and the conversions. I wonder what "a lot of work" looks like to you :P

    And wow, you Brits don't even celebrate mother's day with the rest of the world? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course that picture is just ridiculous. That's the whole point of it! LOL!

      A lot of work, huh? In the case of Andrea the Emo, that meant adding ankle length boots to her bare feet, adding a shirt collar and tie, adding a cardigan, replacing her golf club with a metal hockey stick (fiddly as hell!) and finally, giving her very long hair.

      What? Doesn't everyone celebrate Mother's Day today?

      Delete
    2. Oh, that IS a lot of work! :D

      We celebrate it on 25th march. And according to Wiki, we're the only ones doing that. That's odd, I was pretty sure it's an international thing. :D

      We do celebrate Women's day on 8th march, that seems to be the international one, so there's that. :D

      Delete
    3. Ah, you backward Slovenians - always getting things wrong! Just joking, okay? Looking up Mother's Day on Wikipedia, it all depends upon which country you are in as to when it falls. In the UK it is not on a fixed day per se but movable, depending when Easter falls. Traditionally it is the fourth Sunday of Lent. International Women's day is something else entirely and that was on March 8th this year.

      Delete
  3. Nice pillows Bryan.
    Your plans sound interesting, looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, they are nice "pillows," Bob!
      There is much to look forward to both short term, mid term and long term.

      Delete
  4. Nice progression with your ST project there matey. I understand the choice of illustrations. That one is far more, mmmmm, dynamic, no, no err pneumatic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dynamic? Pneumatic? They're both right, Bob.

      Delete
  5. Shall look forward to seeing the Gripping beast figs painted up as well as the conversions you've done from the WGF sets. The cover picture is ace I wish all pillowfights happened like that lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Work is progressing well on both sets of figures, Simon. My painting mojo is back with a vengeance!
      I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks pillow fights should look like this!

      Delete
  6. I now understand that the "Bomb Queen" makes a couple of interesting points and all you are actually doing is keeping abreast of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, ha! Laughing my ass off here! Nice one, Joe!

      Delete
  7. OK, pillow fights are not really my thing (no matter *who* is involved!), but I'm looking forward to hearing about and seeing progress on all your other projects :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugh, I promise that normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

      Delete
  8. I think it was a great idea Bryan, it's always good to shake thigns up a bit every now and then

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Vampifan - it is always a pleasure to visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete