Monday 17 October 2016

Shadows of Brimstone Void Hounds and Void Sorcerers

The first Deluxe Enemy Pack that I bought for Shadows of Brimstone was the Masters of the Void set, which contained plastic 30mm scale figures of three Void Hounds and three Void Sorcerers, along with a deck of cards, which includes new Artefacts, Encounters, Threat cards and a new card deck - Void Magik.
In the Void between worlds, outside of space and time, eldritch horrors beyond fear or imagination reside. These ancient beings come in many forms, from malign entities of hate and rage, to writhing masses of tentacles, to fiendish sorcerers, locked in towers of knowledge and madness. These masters of the Void extend their tendrils of influence through the cracks in reality that bridge countless worlds across existence! Of all these dreaded beings, Void Hounds and Void Sorcerers are some of the most frightening. Void Hounds are beastly creatures that stalk their prey from beyond the veil, hunting in packs and phasing through the barriers of reality to strike.
The Void Hounds were cast in two halves and come in two poses. the Void Hounds at the left and right of my photos are the same sculpt, but I slightly altered the pose of the tails on the one at the right. They are glued onto 30mm diameter bases and are roughly the same size as a similarly scaled horse. Savage beasts, Void Hounds lay in wait within the Void, choosing just the right time to strike! Attacking as a pack, Void Hounds phase in and out of reality as they move. This results in them having a variable Defence value that is equal to the current initiative Level in that turn order. For example, if a Saloon Girl that Activates at Initiative 5 attacks a Void Hound, the Void Hound's Defence counts as 5 for those attacks. Void Hounds are not generally immune to Critical Hits though, which can bypass the effectiveness of their Void Phasing, by hitting them at just the right moment.
Void Sorcerers are nefarious mages that use dark and powerful magik, seeking out occult knowledge and collecting arcane tomes and artefacts to add to their vaunted vaults of Valitore. To fight these fiends is to stare into the abyss. These ancient and dreaded sorcerers prefer to fight at a distance, slinging Void Bolts at their opponents and ominously chanting in alien tongues as they cast their foul spells. Their powerful magik both protects them and allows them to rain down destruction on their foes.
These figures were also two part castings, with the heads being a separate part. They stand 42mm tall and come with 30mm diameter bases. All three are identically sculpted but I have slightly repositioned the arms of the two blue-robed Void Sorcerers. I painted one of them differently, in the purple robes, so I could use him as a more powerful Void Magus, who can appear as an Epic Threat, with enhanced stats and abilities.
It has been noted that some of the monsters from this game would fit in well in a Call of the Cthulhu setting. This is certainly the case with these Void monsters. With their tentacled faces, the Void Sorcerers could stand in for Avatars of Cthulhu, and the Void Hounds with their ability to phase in and out of reality remind me of the Hounds of Tindalos.

22 comments:

  1. very nice Bryan, my faves are the sorcerers. Love the detail work on the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andy. I deliberately made the pages of the books all different. I like how they have turned out, too.

      Delete
  2. Great additions to the games. All very sinister looking which is surprising as Blue tends to look wholesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Clint. Blue might be a "wholesome" colour but if you have a green face with writhing tentacles then it becomes something a lot more sinister.

      Delete
  3. Now those Void Hounds look like something straight out of Beetlejuice, Bryan, and your paint-job has definitely done them justice!! I'm not quite so taken with the Sorcerers though, nothing wrong with your brushwork, I just find the pose a little flat-looking. Great additions to your magnificent Brimstone collection nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for an honest reply, Simon. The sorcerers most certainly are flat. I suspect it is to do with keeping the sculpts simple.

      Delete
  4. More awesomely done additions Bryan. The Sorcerers are ace love the sculpts and the paint scheme you have chosen for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say so, Simon. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. I like the eyes on the doggies, and those sorcerers are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Barks. The doggies have a lot of eyes.

      Delete
  6. my Mother always says "blue and green should never be seen," but I think you have just proven her wrong haha. These are rather tasty Bryan. You know, this set is the only one I have that I still need to paint (still sealed in the box right now).

    The book work is really nice.

    I`ve seen these mondsters played in a game and they are really hard critters to get right in play. Challenging to say the least. The club guys say they are underpowered, but I dunno, I think it depends a lot how the dice fall and where the cards are in the deck. But I can`t be sure until I get mine into play and can determine this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Steve. I knew you had this set but I didn't know you hadn't painted them yet. They weren't that difficult to paint.

      I have yet to use them in a game but what you say is true of any hero or monster - it all depends upon the roll of the dice and the draw of a card.

      Delete
  7. I quite like these! Good painting as always mate. The void sorcerors could easily be used in other games too. Like Frostgrave to name one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Johnny. I don't play "Frostgrave" but I can certainly see what you mean.

      Delete
  8. Whilst I can see Simon's point regarding the Void Hounds, my first thought was of the Blue Meanies from Yellow Submarine. Another wonderfully bizarre collection of miniatures. The detail on the books is amazing. Good job, Bryan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Incredibly, I have never seen "The Yellow Submarine" so your reference has gone right over my head, Jez. Still, I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  9. More weird monsters? Whoever designs for "Shadows of Brimstone" has a vivid imagination, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there's a lot more weirdness from this game I have yet to show you, Hugh. Wait until you see my next post!

      Delete
  10. Ha ha, Jez said it first, I immediately thought "Blue Meanies" as well!! then after reading Simons "Beetlejuice" comment I thought yes that's it! either way great additions to your collection.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! So it looks like they are a variant of the "Blue Meanies" then. I shall have to Google them as I still have no idea what they look like.

      Delete
  11. I think its the red lips and purple colour scheme that's making us think that Bryan. Don't be offended they do have a bit of a 60's psycodelic nightmare tip look about them, in a good way though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, believe me, it takes a LOT more than that to offend me, Roger. Now that I have Googled them, I can see a slight similarity. You and Jez are way ahead of me! :-)

      Delete