Monday 30 January 2017

Vampifan's Views 87 - Monthly Musings 61

A seductive-looking Vampirella by Joe Jusko.
I start my Monthly Musings with a picture of Vampirella as usual. Sadly, this is the last of the artwork I have by Joe Jusko, my favourite Vampirella artist. I hope I can find some more of his fabulous paintings of Vampi to show here in the future. Nevertheless, I am not short of Vampirella artwork to showcase on my blog. I haven't decided who to highlight next time - I'll decide closer to the date.

Moving on to gaming news I forgot to mention last time that Warlord Games has not only secured their licence to sell 28mm scale Judge Dredd figures but also the licence to produce figures for all of the series from the 2000AD comic. This is great news. For one, it means that their Judge Dredd range will not die and better still, will expand. I'm not sure when their Judge Dredd range will be re-released. I do know that their sculptors are working on a range of Strontium Dog figures to be released later this year (hopefully!). If you missed this announcement you can read more about it here - https://www.2000adonline.com/post/1183
I couldn't be happier!

Speaking of Judge Dredd, my Judge Dredd Miniatures Game campaign got off to a flying start. The two batreps I presented this month were very well received, with everyone who commented liking the comic strip format I chose to showcase them. The comic format is here to stay and may well be used for other batreps. I think it would work very well for some zombie apocalypse games. Getting back to JDMG, I have at least one more batrep planned for February, which will introduce two new Judges in a scenario called Breaking Bones. This is a scenario that I have created and moves away from the shanty town district into the streets of Mega City One.

Work continues on getting my collection of Judge Dredd figures finished painting with good progress having been made this past month. I really did enjoy the Tweak painting challenge with Andy, Dave and Simon. I am working on a small project to make a group of unique figures for my JDMG campaign - Boingers! They are nearly completed and I hope to show you them next month.

I want to give you a heads up to a new range of scenery that has just been released by Wargames Terrain Workshop. It is called Future City Scenics and here is a link to it - http://wargamesterrainworkshop.co.uk/?product_cat=futurecityscenics
This range of sci-fi scenery items was sculpted by Dave Stone, with input on what he should make from Andy/Da Gobbo. Simon/Blaxkleric and myself. Obviously, I'll be using these items on my Mega City One game boards, but they have been designed for use with any sci-fi setting.
The three initial sets available are Garbage Disposal Units (price £1.50), Prisoner Posts (price £1.00) and Sci-Fi Sports Car - Lamborarri 2000 (price £5.00). Prices given are for the unpainted versions. I think they are excellent and very reasonably priced. I've ordered two of each set for now. More orders will most likely follow. It is a great thrill to see these items that I asked Dave to sculpt not only get made but also get released to the public.

I don't have much else to report so I'll sign off now. Thanks for reading.

22 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the development of the Sci-fi street furniture with Dave, so far so good! Batreps in Feb - excellent!

    Gonna head over to WTW and get some posts and recyc bins right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I've spent loads of money. You little bugger, are you on commission from Dave? Tbf I always was gonna get the JD stuff but now have bought some statues and post apoc stuff as well!

      Delete
    2. Many thanks, Andy. Lots of Judge Dredd stuff to look forward to in February.

      Sadly, I'm not on commission with Dave but I'm only too happy to put as much business as I can his way. He's been good to me and he deserves all the help he can get. I plan on spending a small fortune on his stuff this year, so it won't just be your wallet that's hurting, Andy!

      Delete
  2. I already have some WQTW stuff. (I bought at Salute a couple of years ago). Quality is pretty good and would be happy to get more.

    All good news this month. More Jd and JD figures is good so you know I am happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. Dave's WTW figures and scenery are very impressive. For me, Judge Dredd is still very much my flavour of the month, although I am working on a few other projects as well, which I'm keeping quiet about.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Bryan For highlighting the new range, really enjoy projects like this where wargamers contribute ideas. Really like the Vampirella artwork great artist. Clint thank you for remembering us we've had customers in the past post up on twitter and facebook saying " can't remember the company, but really like this piece"
    Sorry for the dents in the wallet Andy, and Bryan, I'll try to not make too much you guys want this year ! Honest !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. It seemed the least I could do after the kindness and generosity you have shown me. Don't apologise for "making" me spend money. Personally, I hope you do make lots more stuff I want. :-)

      Delete
  4. Short(ish) but very sweet posting, Bryan. Dave's scenery is outstanding imho, and if I can start getting more of mine painted up, then he'll certainly be seeing more purchases from me in the future. As it is he is fast making "Wargames Terrain Workshop" the place to go for wargamer-influenced scenery; a bit like this blog is becoming the home of Judge Dredd gaming ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Simon. Dave's scenery is certainly outstanding, isn't it? I'm glad you introduced me to it and to him.

      Delete
    2. "I'm glad you introduced me to it and to him" - No worries. My wallet is rather enjoying seeing the shoe on the other foot for a change ;-)

      Delete
    3. Ha, ha, I bet your wallet is loving this! The whining from mine is being totally ignored by me. You just can't argue with the quality or prices of Dave's products.

      Delete
  5. Great news about Warlord Bryan, I might get my ABC warriors yet (but not till next year).

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic news about Warlord Games. I suspect that the ABC Warriors will return sometime in the future. I'm glad I got mine as soon as they were released because they were not on sale for very long at all.

      Delete
  6. Dave's scenery certainly looks smashing, but shipping costs to the States... :( O well. Like I needed anything new to add to my painting queue anytime soon!

    Excited to read the upcoming JDMG game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dai. It is a shame about shipping costs. There have been plenty of figures I'd have loved to have ordered from the States but the shipping costs were far too expensive.

      The new JDMG batrep should be posted soon.

      Delete
  7. I'd be interested to see what they do for new Dredd and 2000AD releases. I wonder if they will keep the scale consistent. I can't see them changing on account of so many of their own Dredd sculpts out there but can't help but look at the Doctor Who sculpts either. I think if they altered the scale but made them look like Brian Bolland art I'd be all over them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only speculate at the moment, HP. I'm sure they'll keep most of their existing moulds and will most likely add new stuff. But, who knows?

      Delete
  8. Vampi - thanks for bringing the Future City Scenics to my attention. One of the great things about your site is the inspiration I get from the reviews that you've done over the years.

    I'm looking forward to the next comic.

    DEW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DEW, it is comments like yours here that inspires me to keep the blog going. Wargames Terrain Workshop is not as well known as other scenery sites so I was pleased to give it an extra bit of publicity.

      Delete
  9. These garbage disposal units look pretty dangerous O_o I wonder how many innocent citizens of Mega City One have lost their limbs in one of those things.

    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoOSHACompliance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherno. Some MC1 perps have stuffed victims down those type of garbage disposal units. Plus, there are bound to be perfect normal accidents with them. MC1 is a dangerous place to live!

      Delete
    2. Interesting article Cherno, movie plots and comic plots follow a lot of the same plot lines. Thank's for sharing

      Delete