Monday 19 September 2016

Shadows of Brimstone Colonel Scafford and his Mutant Outlaw Gang

The boxed set of Colonel Scafford and the Scafford Gang is an expansion set for Flying Frog Production's Shadows of Brimstone game. It includes 32mm scale plastic figures of the Colonel and six Mutant Outlaws (three figures of each of two sculpts) as well as a small rules booklet for using them plus new Encounter, Gear and Threat cards. This was a set I very much wanted and I bought it as soon as it was released.
The Scafford Gang is the most ruthless band of Mutant Outlaws in the South-West. A veteran of the Confederacy during the American Civil War, their leader, Colonel Benjamin Scafford, turned to crime after the South fell. Fleeing West, he started his own gang of ex-Confederate, thugs and criminals, as well as his five sons; all men loyal to his cause... and to getting rich! When the Dark Stone boomed in Brimstone, the Scafford Gang was the first group of Outlaws to sweep in and steal a cut for themselves. Making their hideouts up in the caves and mines around Brimstone, they have grown hideously mutated by the corrupting influence of the black rock and the Void energies that pour out of every gateway opened to another world. The Scafford gang is a motley crew of Mutant Outlaws, each plagued with mutations of various sizes and shapes. Fused with rock and Dark Stone, or twisted with masses of tentacles, all are embittered by their deformities. They are predominantly Ranged Enemies that have the Shootout Standard Ability, which is also shared by the Bandits from the Frontier Town expansion (see last post).
At the far left of the two photos directly above and below is Colonel Benjamin Scafford. His strong leadership and ruthless cunning have earned him the unending loyalty of his gang and made him one of the most successful Outlaws alive. As a Legendary Enemy, Colonel Scafford is a dangerous foe, giving bonuses to other Enemies around him! With qualities of an anti-hero, he has the ability to use Grit and even a Revive Token in some cases! His figure was a multi-piece casting, which was easy enough to ft together, even without assembly instructions. Note his partially gold-plated pistols.
The three Outlaws alongside the Colonel came with separate right arms. This made it very easy to convert them simply by repositioning this arm. The Mutant Outlaws at the left and right of the group had their arms glued as if firing and just drawing from the holster respectively. For the one in the middle I glued his arm in place midway between the other two. I also cut his hat off and modelled the top of his head with Milliput. I deliberately gave them all totally different colour schemes to further individualise them.
The second batch of Mutant Outlaws were one-piece castings. The one at the far left has been left as he came in the set.
The other two have been converted, although both are simple and minor conversions. For the Outlaw in the centre I cut his hat off and remodelled the top of his head with Milliput. The Outlaw at the far right has had his left arm repositioned by making a small cut inside his elbow. Then I gently repositioned the forearm so his pistol was pointing down and I filled in the gap at his elbow with Milliput. Once again, different paint schemes helps to make them look non-identical.
Here is a group shot showing Colonel Scafford and six of his Mutant Outlaws. I haven't yet tried out this gang in any games, but looking at their stats I can see they are tougher opponents than the Bandits from the Frontier Town set. These are fearsome opponents and Colonel Scafford is truly dangerous. I am looking forward to using them.
I also think they would make a great gang of Mutants from the Cursed Earth in a Judge Dredd game or even a Strontium Dogs game. I can just imagine Judge Dredd or Johnny Alpha tracking down Colonel Scafford and his gang in a futuristic setting. Actually, I may well do this when I start my Judge Dredd Miniatures Game campaign. There is no reason to restrict them just to the Weird West of Shadows of Brimstone. Prices for this set vary depending upon the seller. I got my set for £24.99 from a seller on eBay, which was a very good price, as I have seen them going for a lot more than that. I have just checked on eBay and there are quite a few sets for sale ranging in prices from £27.42 to £48.16.

13 comments:

  1. Possibly my fave post of the year, Bryan, as the colours on those tentacles are awesome!! Great work my friend. I especially like the way you've blended them into the outlaws' flesh. Very well done imho.

    You;re spot on that they could fit in very nicely with either JD or SD, and I'd certainly enjoy a certain Judge taking out the tentacles during his Long Walk ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so kindly, Simon. I don't normally blend colours when the paint is still wet, but I did in this case to make the transition between flesh and tentacles look more natural. I'm glad you approve.

      The Scafford Gang will definitely be appearing in my upcoming Judge Dredd campaign. I'll make sure Judge Moore is included in the party to take them out but you'll be pleased to know it won't be your long walk, just a normal routine clear out mission.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting Bryan, I too like the way you've blended in the tentacles to the flesh, and though I have no problem with each chap being totally individual I would have probably dulled them down a bit, but as you said it's all personal preference, you paint for yourself and if anyone else likes them that's a bonus.

    They kind if remind me of the old "Britons" cowboys from my childhood (though with tentacles of course!). No bad thing there though.

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean no disrespect to anyone, Roger, but we all paint to how we think our minis look best. Some may agree and some may disagree, but as I said to tarot, it is neither here nor there. These have come out exactly how I wanted them to look like and surely that's what matters the most?

      Saying that they remind me of the old Britains Cowboys is a big compliment in my books. I LOVED those 54mm scale figures. They were colourful but my god, they were superb sculpts. Thankfully I still have mine intact. I wonder how much they are worth nowadays... not that I'd ever dream of selling them.

      Delete
    2. Briton and Airfix figs is where I think we nearly all began our love affair with toy soldiers. I think the first ones got were from my cousin 1/32 Airfix German Storm troopers and British commandos, both painted (quite well as recall) by him once he'd out grown them, I however never did!! Timpo, Britons and some really cheap and nasty ones off of the market followed and I've been buying toy soldiers (of one type or another) ever since.

      I would however advise against looking on Ebay at the prices of old toy soldiers, as it's scary at what some go for now!

      Cheers Roger

      Delete
    3. That was certainly the case for me, Roger. I have fond memories of Airfix, Britain's and Timpo. I do wonder how many of the younger generation of gamers have any idea who these companies were?

      Delete
  3. I like them Bryan! Very nice as you put it, if they were in an army then uniformity is essential for that harmonious look skirmish games however allow you to express your individuality as a painter and you can be a bit more expressive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly, Andy. I'm glad you like them.

      Delete
  4. "Jus shoot the varmint that has more tentacles than is good for it!"

    I can imagine some of my players just saying that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow these are really cool! I like the look of these minis. I think Western gaming will be quite popular in the coming months the new Magnificent Seven movie looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I haven't seen the trailer for the updated "Magnificent Seven" film. I'll have to check it out.

      Delete
    2. Oh, wow! It does look good, doesn't it? I will definitely be watching it.

      Delete