Sunday 22 January 2012

Underworld: Awakening 3D

I'm a very happy bunny! My favourite on-screen vampire, Selene the Death Dealer, has returned in the fourth film in the Underworld series. I saw this just two days ago, when it first screened at the cinema without reading any reviews of it. To be honest, I would have still gone to see it even if every film critic slated it because I am a Selene fanboy. As it happens a lot of the film critics did slam the film, but as I always say, the only critic who counts is yourself. Once again, Kate Beckinsale, who plays Selene, dons her iconic black leather skintight costume (how cool does she look in that film poster to the left?) and does what she does best, blows away anyone who stands in her way... only this time in glorious 3D!
THE PLOT. Six months after the events of Underworld: Evolution, Selene and her lover, Michael Corvin, are captured by human troops during a puge of all vampires and Lycans (werewolves) when humanity finally learns of their existance. Selene and Michael are special as they share the blood of Corvinus, the first vampire. Selene the vampire and Michael the Lycan both gain additional powers that make them unique, so naturally they become test specimens to be experimented on. For twelve years, Selene is kept in a cryogenic coma at the Antigen facility, a government sponsored research facility run by Dr. Jacob Lane (Stephen Rea). Another captive at the facility, known as Subject Two, helps Selene to escape. At first Selene thinks that Subject Two is Michael, because she can see events through his eyes. But when another vampire, David (Theo James) comes to Selene's aid, they discover that Subject Two is a young girl called Eve (India Easley). They head off in a van for David's lair but are attacked by a trio of Lycans on the way. Eve is bitten by one of the Lycans and retaliates by ripping its head in half. Selene and David kill the Lycan trio and arrive at David's underground lair. David is the son of an elder vampire, Thomas (Charles Dance) who doesn't take too kindly to their arrival. Selene uses her blood to help heal Eve and she learns that the young vampire hybrid is actually her daughter. Hmm, now there's a turn up for the books!
India Easley as Eve, the hybrid vampire daughter of Selene.
Things take a turn for the worse when the vampires' lair is discovered and infiltrated by a pack of Lycans. This is odd as all Lycans were supposedly eradicated during "The Purge." Looks like someone has been telling lies. The Lycans are only after one thing, Eve. Selene promises to protect her but fails in her duty when she is beaten by the largest Lycan ever seen (Kris Holden-Ried). This beast is about twelve feet tall and a real bad ass! David is killed in the fight and Selene knocked out but she makes amends to Thomas by bringing David back to unlife with her unique blood.
She leaves the coven and enlists the help of an FBI detective, Sebastian (Michael Ealy) to gain access to the Antigen facility, where Eve has been returned. Dr. Lane is revealed as a Lycan and he has been using Selene's DNA to create a race of super Lycans who are immune to silver. That huge bad ass Lycan I mentioned earlier is Quint, Dr. Lane's son. The film climaxes in a bloody fight to the death with no prizes awarded for guessing who emerges victorious.
THE FILM. This time the film had two directors, Mans Marlind and Bjorn Stein, both from Sweden. The series creator and original director, Len Wiseman, (husband of Kate Beckinsale) wrote the screenplay and was one of the film's producers. With a running time of just 90 minutes this packed in a lot of fight scenes, which were very gory. The 3D aspect was supposed to help kickstart the franchise but to be honest didn't add a lot to the film.
Kate Beckinsale as Selene in action. Do not mess with this lady!
THE VERDICT. For one and a half hours I just switched my brain off and was immersed in a fast-paced, action-packed bloodfest and I came out of the cinema with a huge smile on my face. I was entertained and the sight of Kate in her skintight costume kicking butt was enough for me to give this film a huge thumbs up. There are holes you can pick in the plot and no one is going to win any acting awards for this film, but that kind of misses the point. It's an action and adventure film, pure and simple with no pretensions of being high art. Sometimes we need our fix of mindless mayhem and bloody violence as an escape mechanism from the rigours of real life. Believe me, I've seen a lot worse than this offering. As a result I'll happily award this an 8 out of 10 rating. I'd have rated it higher if we'd seen more of Michael and Selene together, but Scott Speedman, who played Michael in the first two Underworld films did not want to appear in part four, which was a shame. Since I've seen the film, I've read numerous reviews of it and it certainly has not gone down well with the film critics. So is it a one to avoid? I guess a lot depends on what you thought of the previous films in the series. These are my favourite vampire films of all time, so it was pretty much a given that I'd enjoy Underworld: Awakening. If you don't think much of the previous offerings or haven't seen them you may want to avoid this one. I'm now looking forward to the DVD release and if there is an Underworld 5, I'll go and see it and no doubt enjoy it.

18 comments:

  1. Nice review. I look forward to catching this in the *hopefully* near future. BTW- do you have the Hasslefree model that looks like Selene? They call her Dionne and the code is HFA004.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, MiniGeek. I do indeed have the Hasslefree not-Selene figures although I prefer the Copplestone Castings' WH1 Werewolf Hunter from their Future Wars range as my not-Selene because she's in a much more animated pose than the HF figures. Check her out if you haven't seen her before.

      Delete
  2. Nice review Bryan I love the Underworld series and this will be on my list to se at some point.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good man, Simon. It's nice to know that I'm not the only "Underworld" fan.

      Delete
  3. Selene....She is pretty damn hot for a dead girl!!!!

    Nice review mate, this has made my TO SEE list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you what, Johnny, Selene can bite me any day! She is definitely smoking!

      Delete
  4. Apologies Bryan, I've not read the review as I like a surprise! Selena has a hybrid vampire daughter??...with a pair of lips to die for!!!! Can't wait to see this one!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand the reason not to read my Plot notes, Ray. There's a lot I haven't mentioned but even so, there's still a few spoilers in there.

      As for Eve and her luscious lips, be careful, Ray, she's only a child! What would Fran have to say? LOL!

      Delete
  5. You'd pay just for the costume, the series has been great apart from he blip with the prequel but hope to see this at the cinema for a change....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worth paying a visit, Fran, especially if you liked any of the earlier films in the series. Actually I quite liked part 3, but I must admit, Selene was a huge miss.

      Delete
  6. The only Underworld-Fan? Are you kidding us? :) I watched Underworld at least 3 times when I first rented the DVD.
    I'll head straight to the cinema as soon as I find the time to do so. Then I will read your whole plot summary ;)

    And yes, Kate as Selene is absolutely hot! Even if she's a little old to fit in my prey pattern :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Stefan, you're a man after my own heart!

      As for Kate, she's currently 38 years old and looking far, far fitter than me when I was that age!

      Delete
  7. This is getting repeated. Action sequences here are not for promoting story but story is for promoting only action. Emotional bond is least, unable to generate any touching moment during the mother-daughter reunion. Munch popcorn during the show and enjoy the action if you must ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ass-kicking popcorn flick, kinda throw-away but I soak every one up and love them!

    ReplyDelete