Wednesday 23 March 2016

Deep Cut Studio - Steppe Terrain Mat

The Deep Cut Studio Steppe Terrain Mat measuring 4' by 4'.
As you will know from my previous posts I am now actively pursuing my passion for Wild West gaming. I mentioned last time that I had the rules I wanted to use, a small collection of 28mm scale figures and a pitiful amount of scenery and buildings. But there was one thing I neglected to mention - some kind of gaming board on which I could play my games. Admittedly, I have the card tiles that come with the two starter sets for Shadows of Brimstone, but they are only of use for mines and/or other world exploration. I had nothing for encounters in town or out on the wide open plains.
So I started looking for solutions. One option would have been to use the card terrain from the World Works Games set - Streets of Blood. I use card terrain gaming boards from Stoelzel's Structures and World Works Games for my contemporary urban games. But I knew this would be a very time consuming process and I wanted a simpler solution. A while ago I stumbled across a website selling terrain mats. That site was run by Deep Cut Studios - see here - http://www.deepcutstudios.com/  My search was over. Now I just had to decide which mat was most appropriate for my needs. Because they are expensive I wanted something that would give me the most "bang for my buck" i.e. something that I could use for multiple settings, not just the Wild West. So, I chose the Steppe mat from their large range of designs. This is such a generic design that it can be used in so many settings and genres and it suits my needs perfectly. When you come to order your mat you have two decisions to make after you've chosen your desired terrain - material and size.
Close up detail of the Steppe mat.
More close up detail of the Steppe mat
The mats come in a choice of three materials - PVC, Cloth and Mouse-pad. The features of the PVC mat are -
– Made from high durability PVC
– Non textured gaming surface with a high quality printed picture
– Resistant to scratch and tear as well as dirt stains
– Compatible with water based pens
– Shipping tubes can be used as easy storage
– The choice for a sturdy and cost friendly battlefield
Further close up detail of the Steppe mat.
PVC is the cheapest option available.




If you opt for a Cloth mat its features are -
– Made from lightweight synthetic cloth
– The paints are soaked into the material and will never scratch or fade off
– Can be machine washed or ironed with steam
– The choice for an ultra-portable battlefield
Cloth is more expensive than PVC but cheaper than Mouse-pad.







Finally, the features of a Mouse-pad mat are -
 – Made from synthetic cloth with a 2mm thick rubber foam backing
– The paints are soaked into the material and will never scratch or fade off
– Non slippery backing to keep the mat on the table
– Instant matt flatness and smooth gaming surface
– Soft rubber foam allows you to pick up cards easy and roll the dice without a sound
– The choice for a premium gaming table
This is the most expensive option but also the best. It is the option that I chose. Note, that if you want, the mat can be manufactured with any size grid or hexes as well as tailored to a custom size table. This will, however, cost you extra. I just wanted my mat to be left gridless.

The mats come in a choice of three sizes - 3' by 3', 4' by 4' and 4' by 6'. I chose the 4' by 4' option for my mat. Mouse-pad mats are becoming more and more popular. The gaming mats used by Battle Systems for their Urban Apocalypse, Fantasy and Sci-fi sets are 2' by 2' Mouse-pads. I'll be getting a load of them when they start delivering their Urban Apocalypse terrain for their recent Kickstarter this summer. Mantic Games are offering 52cm square Mouse-pad mats for their The Walking Dead game as an alternative to their paper mats. I have one already for the Mantic Games Mars Attack game.
As I said earlier, I wanted a gaming mat that was versatile. Obviously, my Steppe Terrain Mat will see most use in Wild West games. It is good enough for encounters in town or out on the plains. I can also use it for rural settings for post-apocalypse games like All Things Zombie, contemporary games like 7TV2e, sci-fi games like the Cursed Earth setting for Judge Dredd or something entirely different like perhaps, an Antediluvian Adventures setting featuring cavemen and dinosaurs. There are endless possibilities.
The 4' by 4' Mouse-pad Steppe Terrain Mat that I bought cost £43.90 plus £9.90 for post and packing. Yes, it is expensive but is, I believe, a worthwhile investment that will last me a lifetime.

17 comments:

  1. I have been looking at these as well. While deep Cut may be the best they are NOT the only company doing them. Indeed there is one near here and that will save me postage.

    Good to hear that you are please with them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clint. I am aware that other companies offering similar products exist but Deep Cut Studio were the one I liked best of all.

      Delete
  2. Like Clint and yourself, I've been looking at these mats for a while, indeed I was going to get the urban one before I built my custom boards, it was always the cost that deterred me (saying that my boards cost me a bloody fortune to make!) that said I do fancy them for my man o war and battle fleet gothic games so may have to look once again...

    *Clint, where did you see that local company?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost was a major factor in why it has taken me so long to purchase one of these mats, Andy. In the end I decided it was worth taking the plunge as it saves me so much time from making my own and it'll be a good investment. There is such a wide variety of mats that any gaming needs you have can be catered for, including BFG and MOW.

      Delete
  3. Very nice, Bryan. I have one of the deluxe Mars Attacks mouse pad mats and have to say I do like it very much. Although as it's 2 foot square, I probably need another one. I've yet to find an urban mat in the size I want with the design I want, but I shall keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And make sure that whenever you're in any coffee shop, grab a handful of their wooden stirrers -ideal for wild west fencing and boardwalks, etc and best of all, free!

      Delete
    2. The Mars Attack mouse-pad mat is great. I have to agree with you that the urban mats are not as good as the natural landscape mats. I also think they are more restrictive in their uses.

      Wooden coffee stirrers, cocktail sticks and even matchsticks are all useful items to collect. I've seen so many uses for them not to discard or ignore them.

      Delete
  4. I also looked at these for my zombie apocalypse but the cost deterred me. I'm constantly in the look out for a bargain. I am be of those that refuse to pay retail and I will share some of my bargains as time goes by on my blog.

    I am a tight are but that's only because my families needs and wants come before mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand where you're coming from, Damon, and I fully sympathise with you. It's all about getting what we can afford and I'm all for getting a bargain. But, if I can afford something I like and want I will flash the cash.

      Delete
  5. I bought a Deep Cut desert mat for a future game of Doctor Who (and others). Thought long and hard and decided to go for cloth. Wouldn't mind a few more, but they are a bit pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee. I very nearly chose a desert mat myself but in the end I figured I'd get more use out of my steppe terrain mat. They are great but they are damned expensive.

      Delete
  6. Great posting Bryan, and one which very nicely gives your PoV on these mats. I too own a couple of their PVC 3x3 mats (Snow and cobblestone). but sadly have not yet used them as they seem rather too keen to curl in the corners, and despite my bet efforts I haven't been able to smooth them out without putting terrain on the very corners. I also though have a Hotz felt mat and like that one so much that currently I have a swamp and urban cloth mat en route from Deep Cut to give them a second chance. They've not arrived yet. But I'll certainly be interested in how your material copes with the daily rigours of Vampifan gaming :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. Your snow mat must be a shoe-in for games of Frostgrave. I'd be very interested to hear your views on your Deep Cut cloth mats when they arrive. Because the mouse-pad mats are a lot heavier than the PVC mats there is no danger of the corners curling up. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever to make about my mouse-pad mat.

      Delete
  7. A very nice product Dude! More than a little out of my price range unfortunately, you know me and free or really really cheap. Free is best though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Bob. Free or cheap is just as fine by me.

      Delete
  8. Works good and nice review Bryan. Knowing you I do not think it will be long before you have a good table for the wild west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Johnny. Yes, you're right. I'm working on my board already.

      Delete