Monday 3 July 2017

Wargames Terrain Workshop Wasteland Scavengers 01

A relatively new range of figures from the prolific Dave Stone of Wargames Terrain Workshop is this range of Wasteland Scavengers, which at present comprises of these three figures shown below.
At the far left is the child. He is 19mm tall, although he is sitting down. All the figures are made of resin and come with integral 25mm diameter bases. He appears to have found the steering controls of a vehicle, possibly a jet bike, and he is pretending to drive it. He costs £3.00.
My favourite figure out of the trio is the adult woman. I think she's a great sculpt, but I must warn you that she stands 39mm tall, which may make her far too tall for some of you. Scale creep or is she just a very tall woman? I'm going with the latter. She carries a large wrench in her right hand and has a bag of assorted items slung over her left shoulder. She costs £4.00.
Finally, is the old lady. She is hunched down as she drags along a sack of looted items, including a robot arm. She looks rather furtive, but who can blame her? She is 24mm tall and she costs £3.00.
These three figures are generic enough to appear in many settings from a contemporary zombie apocalypse world, to near future and sci-fi. I have then stored away with my Judge Dredd figures as  I figure they'll fit in well in either Mega City 1 or in the Cursed Earth.
I know that Dave has plans for expanding this range and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.
Here, I have repainted the female, giving her blue skin, and I have added my figure of Vampifan to the photo to show you just how tall Dave's figures are.

18 comments:

  1. 39mm tall?! That's not even vaguely compatible with 28mm figures, in my opinion. She's 33% taller than the male average, which equates to roughly 8 feet high in real life - stretching credibility for even the Guinness Book of Records. Would work fine alongside 42mm figures, of course.

    It's a pity, because otherwise it looks like a nice model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take your point, Hugh, and it's a fair comment. Perhaps I should categorise her as a mutant.

      Delete
  2. 39mm tall (I hope that is a mistype and you mean 29mm tall). If 39mm tall far to tall for me.

    The other 2 look OK though. And while not perfect are far better than I can sculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, Clint, that's no typo. She really is very, very tall.

      Delete
  3. The child could also be trying to pull it out of the ground...doubt there is much time for play out in the bad lands...although children will be children :)

    39mm is a bit big but would work as a mutant. Any chance of a comparison shot with some judges/civis?

    A different skin colour could alos do the trick if the general proportions looked right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, I never thought of the child pulling something out of the ground but the more I look at it, the more I can see what you mean.

      I may repaint the skin tones of the female and I'll try to get a comparison shot taken for you. Thanks for your constructive comments.

      Delete
  4. Jason you are right he's actually trying to remove a foot off a robot leg ( has a socket wrench just by his left leg having already removed the bolts) but could easily be as Bryan says playing with scrap. Yes the girl is tall but in a radioactive wasteland you never know what mutations might happen ! People come in all shapes and sizes which is something I like to convey in my models. This may not be a popular choice, but it appeals to my sense of balance.
    Many Thanks Bryan for the highlight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent reply, Dave! Now that you've said it's a robot leg, I totally get it. But, my explanation still works.

      As I've said more than once here, I have no problem with mixing figures of different scales, but I still fancy repainting the female as a blue-skinned mutant/alien. I think it will make more sense given Hugh's comment about her true size if she was 28mm scale.

      Delete
    2. Agree mate, your explanation works just as well, look forward to seeing her in blue tones

      Delete
    3. I've started repainting her already, and she does look good with blue skin.

      Delete
  5. Very apt post Bryan, as I am about to embark on a bit of post-apocalypse malarkey.

    Nice enough models, though at 39mm tall way to tall for me. I think I'll stick to the old Grenadier figs I've ordered from Moonraker, and the were only £1.50 each!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roger. I have most of the Moonraker figures back from when Grenadier produced them. They are really cool, and you certainly can't argue with the prices for them. Having decided the tall female is going to be an alien or mutant, I'm much more happier with her.

      Delete
  6. A nice selection, my first thought was a kid and robot legs, full of character - love it! Dave's work is excellent as always, aided by some lovely touches with the brush :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Andy. Dave produces some amazing figures, doesn't he?

      Delete
  7. Great stuff, Bryan, I think your work on the old woman's face is especially nicely done. I don't own this range myself, but you've certainly made a good job of them, and despite my usual OCD regarding scale, I really like the scavenging woman - height and all. I think a blue-skin would certainly mark her out more as a mutie, but I don't personally think she looks out of scale with Dave's other sculpts.

    Indeed, having seen Dave's latest addition, the wasteland overlord, in the flesh at Bovington, I can see a lot of uses for this range when gaming "Gamma World". Tempting stuff, so I'm looking forward to seeing you paint up some more form this range, as and when Dave adds to it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Simon. I agree with you on all points. These would fit in really well in "Gamma World". Dave sent me a photo of the Wasteland Overlord recently and he's definitely on my shopping list.

      Delete