Tuesday 25 September 2018

Black Scorpion 7th Cavalry

One of the seven factions offered in Black Scorpion's Tombstone Kickstarter last year was the 7th Cavalry faction and I'm showing them here in their entirety. The regiment was constituted on 28th of July 1866 in the regular army as the 7th United States Cavalry. It was organized on 21st of September 1866 at Fort Riley, Kansas, as part of an expansion of the regular army following the demobilization of the wartime volunteer and draft forces. From 1866 through 1871, the regiment was posted to Fort Riley and fought in the American Indian Wars. In the Battle of Washita in1868, the regiment sustained 22 losses, while inflicting more that 150 deaths on a Cheyenne encampment, mostly women and children. This attack was led by George Armstrong Custer, who later led the 7th Cavalry to the most calamitous defeat of U.S. forces in the Indian Wars.
Typical of post-Civil-War cavalry regiments, the 7th Cavalry was organized as a twelve-company regiment without a formal battalion organization. Battalions at this time were flexible tactical organizations, with companies being assigned and removed as the field commander desired or felt necessary. Throughout this period, the cavalryman was armed with the .45 calibre Colt Cavalry Single Action revolvers and Trapdoor Springfield Carbines, calibre .45–70, until 1892. The regiment used the McClellan saddle. Sabres were also issued but not often carried on campaign.
From 1871 through 1873, 7th Cavalry companies participated in constabulary duties in the deep South in support of the Reconstruction Act and, for half the regiment, again in 1874–1876. In 1873, the 7th Cavalry moved its garrison post to Fort Abraham Lincoln, Dakota Territory. From here, the regiment carried out Custer's 1874 Black Hills Expedition. This led to the discovery of gold in the Black Hills, starting a gold rush in 1874 that precipitated the Great Sioux war of 1876-77. In June, 1876, Lieutenant Colonel George A. Custer was killed in the Battle of the Little Bighorn, Montana, along with 267 soldiers of the 7th Cavalry. Although the regiment is well known for the Battle of the Little Bighorn, it also participated in other battles of the American Indian Wars, including the Battle of Bear Paw in Montana (30th of September 1877 – 5th of October 1877) and the Battle of Crow Agency in Montana (5th of November 1887). On 29th of December 1890, the regiment instigated the Wounded Knee Massacre in South Dakota, an event that signalled the end of the American Indian Wars.
In these two photos we have Lieutenant Colonel George Armstrong Custer on foot and mounted on a white horse. Although Black Scorpion sell him as Custer, I have no desire to use him as such. I don't plan on running any of Custer's battles in my Six Gun Sound campaign, so I will rename him when I find the right time to introduce the 7th Cavalry. That said, they are really superbly sculpted figures. Note that the horse came with separate front and back right legs, but you wouldn't be able to tell from my photos as I hid the joins so well with Milliput. Custer on foot costs £4.50 and the mounted version costs £9.60.
At the far right is an unnamed officer. Actually, I haven't got round to naming any of the figures from this faction yet. He is armed with a pair of .45 Colt Cavalry Revolvers. He costs £4.50 from the Black Scorpion webstore.

These four figures are from the 7th Cavalry Set 1 priced at £9.60 for all four of them. At the far left is a trooper with a single .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver. Next to him is a trooper with a .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver and a Sabre.
Second from the right is a trooper armed with a 12 Gauge Double-Barrelled Shotgun and .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver. The trooper at the right of the group is armed with a .45 Trapdoor Springfield Carbine and a .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver.
Next up is 7th Cavalry Set 2, consisting of four more troopers and again, they are priced at £9.60 for all four. At the far left is either an officer or an NCO armed with a .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver and a Sabre.
Next in line, from left to right, are a trooper armed with two .45 Colt Cavalry Revolvers and two troopers armed with .45 Springfield Carbines.
7th Cavalry Set 3, is also priced at £9,60 for the four figures shown directly above and below consists of three troopers armed with twin .45 Colt Cavalry Revolvers.
Last in line at the far right is a trooper armed with a 12 Gauge Double-Barrelled Shotgun and a .45 Colt Cavalry Revolver. I have no idea why two of the troopers are toting Shotguns instead of Carbines, but it does offer more variety, so I'm not complaining.
All of these figures are available from the Black Scorpion webstore and all are cast in resin. Note that I have glued all of mine to MDF bases, which I bought separately from Warbases. The 25mm diameter bases are MDF slottabases. There is no denying, the level of sculpting on these figures is extremely high. You may think that they are expensive, and I wouldn't argue with you, but bear in mind, you're paying for very high quality figures and quality comes at a price.

19 comments:

  1. Great looking cavalry unit Bryan, there's some nice variation in the sculpts there, being in the same uniform models can very often lose identity, but these are great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Dave, and I totally agree with you about the variation on offer here.

      Delete
  2. I like Black scorpion sculpts a lot. Be aware they are not ALWAYS historically accurate but they are still good. Good enough for me to like them a lot. some of the best wild west figures I have seen. (Email sent)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated, Clint. I have no idea how historically accurate these figures are. All I know is that I like them a lot and that's what counts the most. As I said in my post, i don't mind that a couple of troopers are armed with Shotguns instead of Carbines.

      E-mail read and replied to. Many thanks for it.

      Delete
  3. Hi Bryan I'm inclined to agree with Clint, these are equiped more like gunslingers than Cavalrymen, however I guess that's what they were designed as. I can live with £9:60 for 4 figures but £4:50!!! For 1 is expensive, although the Reaper figures and Knuckleduster ones are similarly priced. Nicely painted though.

    I did enjoy your preamble giving a potted history of the 7th it was both informative and interesting and I hope you will do something similar when you introduce the next set.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John. I would guess these have been designed specifically for Black Scorpion's "Tombstone" skirmish game, hence them looking more like gunslingers. The command figures are indeed expensive but even so, are still a lot cheaper than command figures sold by Games Workshop, where one figure can cost £20+! Suddenly, £4.50 doesn't seem quite so bad. However, I do take your point. By backing the Kickstarter I was able to buy all of the factions at a discounted price, so a win-win for me.

      The history lesson preamble was something I wanted to do as I'm sure many of my followers wouldn't know that much about the real life 7th Cavalry but instead be basing their knowledge on Hollywood films or TV series. It is something i will continue to do where applicable.

      Delete
    2. You hit the nail on the head with that answer Bryan it is for Tombstone & tbh it one of the things I dislike about the rule set, the groups have four types but only two types can have a rifle or a horse, these would be the leaders & the next best types with the lower ranks having fewer things to pick from.

      Rant over lover paint job & interesting bit of history Bryan :)

      Delete
    3. Cheers, Frank. I got a free PDF version of the "Tombstone" rules as part of the Kickstarter, and to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with them. I'll be sticking with "Six Gun Sound" for my Wild West games.

      Delete
  4. Wow, simply wow Bryan. Not a post I was expecting, but a colourfully welcome one. Very inspirational, and I’d certainly be wanting to paint Cavalry having seen this posting if I wasn’t already overstretched on my own stuff. Terrific posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greatly appreciated, Simon. I'd been looking for suitable 7th Cavalry figures for my Wild West games for a while. As soon as I saw these, I knew my search was over. I had a lot of fun painting them, which is unusual given that they are all painted very much alike.

      Delete
  5. Nice cav minis dude. Love the blue you’ve achieved especially against the cream of the buck skinned gloves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Andy, and well noticed about the buckskin gloves. They do provide a nice contrast to the dark blue of the tunics and overcoats.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work, nice minis! I think they fit in with your other recent wild west minis in that they seem suitable for Hollywood-type scenarios. They're not really meant for massed troops wargames. Lots of character and variety (and maybe not historically accurate; but who cares?).

    Then again, I don't bother with historicity in my gaming, which comes more from a love of old movies, fantasy books, larger than life adventures, and other such "nonsense". All in fun. I do read history and consume some media (podcasts, documentaries, and such) that cover history, but I'm the last person to be a "button counter".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, FB. You are clearly a man after my own heart as I have the same attitude to you towards historical accuracy. Having fun is surely the number one rule in gaming.

      Delete
  7. Really nice stuff Bryan, you cant do Cowboys without the "Seventh Cavalry" to wipe out those pesky redskins!

    Cheers Roger.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Everyone,This was how me and my Boyfriend became VAMPIRES. I got a guy from the internet called Lord who was a VAMPIRE so i told him that me and my boyfriend would love to become a VAMPIRES so he asked me of my Name ,Country, Age ,State , address and in the next 3 days i got the blood sample through the DHL which me and my boyfriend took in the blood into our body and in the next 30 minutes we turned into a VAMPIRE so if you are interested in becoming a VAMPIRE. First: Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books, Sure. I understand. You are young; you have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, but how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Richvampirekindom@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete