Wednesday 4 June 2014

Assorted African/American Civilians 01

I was going to post this review last month to go with my reviews of African/American Gangstas, Pimps and Prostitutes, but I got sidetracked by Laurel and Hardy. Here are four civilian figures of African/American origin. The one at the far left is an old out of production figure by RAFM. The other three figures were all made by Killer B Games from their 1970's "Geezers! Shut It!" range of 28mm scale figures.
The dude at the far left carries a ghetto-blaster and has the look of a stoned junkie. I named him Pookie Appleton.. His T-shirt bears the slogan, "Rave on." It might just as well have said, "Victim!" as that is exactly what he looks like to me.
Next up is Montell Cole, who looks like he can take care of himself. He stands in an aggressive pose with his fists clenched and he looks like he is threatening someone. His denim waistcoat is festooned with badges. He is one of the three figures shown here from Killer B Games. He is known as Curly Haired Thug on their website and costs £1.80.
Third in line is the martial artist, Bobby Rowland. He studies kung fu at his local gym. His hero is Jim Kelly, who appeared as Williams alongside Bruce Lee in the film Enter the Dragon. He is an above average fighter, fit and healthy and doing his best to earn an honest living. He is known as Kung Fu Brother on the Killer B Games website, and he too, costs £1.80.
Finally, is Foxy Statton, a prostitute who works for the pimp, Dwayne Dubois. Foxy is a high class hooker and she earns good money, which she spends on luxury items like clothes and jewelery. She does not do drugs, other than tobacco. Note her gold-plated cigarette holder. She is described as a Street Walker on the Killer B Games webstore and she also costs £1.80.
The three Killer B Games figures definitely have a 1970's vibe about them, with their huge Afro hairstyles and clothes. They also look like they could possibly survive in a zombie apocalypse. Pookie, however, is fated to die on Day One or soon after.

25 comments:

  1. A nice set. I can see the use for a ghetto blaster in a gangster gang but that's not a good idea in a zombie apocalypse. They all look good and will flourish in the first week of your zombie setting. Yet more figures to see on the table top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite right, Clint. You do not want to be playing a ghetto blaster in the middle of a zombie apocalypse, especially not if you wish to remain inconspicuous!

      Delete
    2. Very true but love the figures and the Afros, reminds me of so many movies!

      Delete
    3. Agreed, Fran. I saw many "blaxploitation" movies in the 1970's.

      Delete
  2. The ghetto blaster can be used as a "blunt instrument" maybe 4 or 5 times, then it´s run Pookie run... As above, love the Afros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Pookie is playing his ghetto blaster at full volume it is highly unlikely he'd hear anyone approaching (zombie or otherwise) until it's too late. But yes, death by ghetto blaster could qualify for "zombie kill of the week!" Chuckle!

      Delete
  3. Hey - that's Will Smith! Of course he is an OOP miniature, he's fantastic and just the civilian everyone needs as a board clutter! :D

    Great job on the others as well, at first glance I was sure at least some of them must be your sculpts :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha,, Will Smith! That made me laugh, Mathyoo!

      If you thought the others were sculpted by me then all I can say is thanks for the high praise!

      Delete
    2. I mean it! :D

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBe0VCso0qs

      I couldn't find any video or picture, but he carries this huge radio around in some episodes :D

      Delete
    3. "Yo, homes, I'll smell you later!"
      I used to regularly watch "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air," Mathyoo.
      Pookie could only dream of being as cool as Will Smith!

      Delete
  4. I've got a few figures from the "Geezers" range as well, though not these ones. They're very nice models and it's always nice to have a few people who are dressed as if they're in a time warp :-) .

    I agree that the guy with the ghetto blaster will have a gard time during the apocalypse. After all, he will run out of batteries very quickly and then what'll he do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the "Geezers!" range because I have such a fondness for the 1970's and "The Sweeney" still remains one of my all-time favourite TV shows.

      Some would say (Me!) that a ghetto blaster without batteries is a huge improvement. LOL!

      Delete
  5. Poor Pookie, maybe he should have turned the music down?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very retro, they all look like victims to me; are they just the sort of folk you'd mug if you were a gansta ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joe. I love the retro style of them as well. I doubt if any of them would fare well against an armed assailant.

      Delete
  7. Great selection of figures Dude. Nice paint as always. These guys look like they have stepped out of "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka" and on to your blog. Very very funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that film, Bob, and you're not wrong.

      Yep. Pookie is fucked!

      Delete
  8. I am too white to try and bring the talk. But they look nice. The 1970`s is coming back to haunt us like this? Hehe.....

    Actually I can hear the blaster with some music from the 90`s

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6DO_7px1I

    Snap-I got the power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Johnny, but with respect, no thinks for the YouTube link. Bleurgh!!!!

      Delete
  9. A getto blaster for a improvised weapon.... thats great :)
    Great paint job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look sweet, love the Afros, very fly

    ReplyDelete