Wednesday 25 June 2014

Juggernaut by Adam Baker

Juggernaut by Adam Baker is a prequel to his earlier zombie apocalypse novel. Outpost. In Outpost, the world had been overrun by flesh eating zombies caused by a virus that came from outer space. Whereas Outpost was set on an oil rig in the Arctic Circle, Juggernaut is set in the blistering heat of the Iraqi Western Desert. So, from one temperature extreme to the other. The story takes place in the year 2005 during the time of the Allied invasion of Iraq and the fall of Saddam Hussein's regime.
A group of seven mercenaries and one Iraqi guide set out on a covert mission to locate a large stash of gold hidden away by men loyal to Saddam. They fly to their destination in two helicopters but upon arrival find nothing but death and destruction on a large scale. The valley they land in was the scene of a fierce battle that left no one alive, apart from an Iraqi diplomat/scientist who was hired to lead the survivors here. He knows far more than he is telling and through a series of flashbacks we learn the truth of what really happened in that valley of death.
The mercenaries are lead by a tough ass female called Lucy Whyte, which is rather unusual but then again, these are mercenaries. Her closet friend is Amanda Greenwald, the team's sniper. The rest of the team are made up of Huang the medic, Toon the SAW gunner and Voss the South African shotgunner. These five have worked together for many years. The two helicopter pilots, whom no one trusted, were hired at the last minute. They were called Gaunt and Raphael. Finally, was their Iraqi guide, Jabril, a man with many secrets. It must be obvious from the outset that few, if any of them, would survive this encounter. Sure enough, once the team learn the horrible truth that the dead can come back to life as zombies the body count rises. Lucy and Amanda are not without their faults, indeed none of them are exactly saints, but these two stand out from the rest as the two you hope will live. Whether they do or not I'll leave for you to find out but they were the only two I was rooting for. I'm just a sucker for strong female leads.
The story is fast paced, well written and exciting. My only quibble with it is the same one I had with Outpost and that is that I am not a fan of the way the zombies are created. They are just too alien for my somewhat traditional preferences. The story goes into more detail about how the zombies originated. Don't let my opinion put you off as your views may well differ to mine. I'm just not a big fan of techno-zombies.
The outbreak in the desert is ultimately contained but the final chapter sets the wheels in motion for a follow up novel in which the virus must surely go global to set up the events of the Outpost novel. Despite my reservations about the techno-zombies, I enjoyed Juggernaut enough to give it an 8 out of 10 rating. It is worth checking out, especially if you have already read Outpost.

20 comments:

  1. Sounds quite good. But I have such a back log of books I doubt I will ever get round to reading it. But glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a page turner and yes, I did enjoy it.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed "Outpost", mainly for its setting and central character (another female) and no "superheroes" in the rest of the cast.
    I think I'd be a bit disappointed with this story though as the setting and characters don't appeal and would have probably avoided it save for your review which, given your dislike of the protagonists in this and the earlier book, still rates high.
    It's pretty expensive in e-format too at £4.49, only slightly cheaper than the new paperback at £5.24 !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that, Joe. I had no idea that the e-book cost so much. I remember paying roughly a fiver for the paperback version, which I thought was quite reasonable. But £4.49 for the e-novel is not good value for money, is it?

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed it Bryan, despite your misgivings about the zombie creation. You big ol' traditionalist. Nice review Dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is mainly thanks to you, Bob, that I read this at all. if I hadn't read your own review of it a couple of months ago I'd have missed it. So, many thanks, mate. Yes, when it comes to zombies I am more of a traditionalist.

      Delete
  4. I'll have to check Outpost out as I like the sound of this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good read, and if how zombies are created is the worst thing you don't like about it, it can't be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! It is only a small criticism and is more a reflection of my own feelings about zombies, Mathyoo. Techno-zombies don't float my boat!

      Delete
  6. I may try this one and outpost. I don't mind techno as I honestly distrust anything I can't fix! ;)
    The last technoZombie book I read was Stephen King's cellular which was really good until the end when the zombies got powerful godlike powers, by then I had to finish just to quit the book. It was a chore! If there is no magical superpowers, I may enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No super powers here, David, so you ought to enjoy it.

      Delete
  7. While a female leader of a mercenary team is possible, I imagine that it's very rare (non-existent?) in real life. But then, so are zombies - so why not?! Too many books to read - I can't keep up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At first I questioned why the mercenaries would be led by such a hard ass female, but once I got into the novel it became evident she was the natural leader of the group. Lucy was gutsy, tough and strong-willed and had what it takes to survive in a predominantly male environment. Anyway, it is a work of fiction and not a real life account... thank God!

      Delete
  8. I kind of agree with you on the way the zombies are created, although oddly enough the 'Alien' nature of the zombies is closer to Romero's original idea that the virus explanation. Adam's writing is exceptional and he also seems like quite a nice chap. he's a big fan of the big movies from the 80s and it shows in his work in a good way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a valid point you make about Romero and the origins of his zombies from "Night of the Living Dead" but the big difference is that his were not mutated in the way that Adam Baker's are. Despite my misgivings about how his zombies are created I do admire his writing style.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a good book. Shall check it out!

    ReplyDelete